B16, B18, B20
By Okie_doke
#278952 What's up fellas. I just recently picked up a jdm b16a (longblock) for $240 all its really missing is sensors, IM, TB, harness, little things like that. I'm just gonna fore warn y'all that you'll end up hearing from me alot as I build this bcuz I'm not in any desperate hurry to get it done as I have the D in the car to run on now. Anyway I was wondering from any of y'all runnin a b16 what's the best and cheapest ways to squeeze hp/trq out of one? I mean y'alls opinions with internals, bolt ons, etc. I could go ls/v as I have a b18b sitting right next to it I'm just nervous of ls/v's hearing about them having problems or not done just right. Any comments/ opinions/ constructive criticism is appreciated

/end rant

:woot:
By blk92hb
#279027 well you can make a ls/v but the b16a would be a better choice because it has oil squirters in the block or the pistons.

For quick hp you can boost it, you will need to get aftermarket pistons because the jdm b16 has 10:4 compression, and with that compression you might be able to push about 5psi of boost.
By poorman type-r
#279033 Go LS/V and build it right. Unless you plan on boosting it, you won't get torque from a b16, they are torqueless motors. So just build the motor the right way and you won't have any problems. What are you hp goals?
By RWMIII
poorman type-r wrote:Go LS/V and build it right. Unless you plan on boosting it, you won't get torque from a b16, they are torqueless motors. So just build the motor the right way and you won't have any problems. What are you hp goals?

x2
By Okie_doke
poorman type-r wrote:Go LS/V and build it right. Unless you plan on boosting it, you won't get torque from a b16, they are torqueless motors. So just build the motor the right way and you won't have any problems. What are you hp goals?

It may sound a bit crazy but I'm trying to get as close to 200 hp as possible. I'm also staying NA so it'll be a little more reliable seeing as this is a daily driver. And by "build it right" you mean by not just slapping a vtec head on it and riding?
I want quick but also fast. I don't mind spending the money where it need be. I worry about detonation or things like piston and valve contact.

I just want to give my buddy in his SE-R a good run because its a constant Honda joke at his house cuz his car is the greatest if you ask him but he bought it quick out the box. :thumbdown:
By poorman type-r
Okie_doke wrote:

It may sound a bit crazy but I'm trying to get as close to 200 hp as possible. I'm also staying NA so it'll be a little more reliable seeing as this is a daily driver. And by "build it right" you mean by not just slapping a vtec head on it and riding?
I want quick but also fast. I don't mind spending the money where it need be. I worry about detonation or things like piston and valve contact.

I just want to give my buddy in his SE-R a good run because its a constant Honda joke at his house cuz his car is the greatest if you ask him but he bought it quick out the box. :thumbdown:

SE-R's are slow. A stock LS/V would put it to shame. By "build it right" I am mean make sure everything is torqued down to spec and you use quality parts. Buy new rods, pistons so you can spin your motor passed 8.5K. Don't worry about clearance you will be good. Put 11:1-12:1 pistons with a built head (Skunk2 valvetrain and cams) Pro Series Stage 2 maybe? Hytech Tri-Y headers, Skunk2 Pro series Intake Manifold, 68mm Throttle body, Cold-Air or Short Ram Intake whatever gets you off, AEM Tru-Time Cam Gears. I would guess you would take that POS Nissan by 15 cars. No joke. Oh and you will be well beyond 200hp with that setup. Probably close to 215-220whp.
By Okie_doke
#279497 This is a tough choice. My buddy keeps talking me out of it bcuz he says its still not good reliability wise :?
By poorman type-r
Okie_doke wrote:This is a tough choice. My buddy keeps talking me out of it bcuz he says its still not good reliability wise :?

Lol no offense but tell your buddy that he doesn't know shit. If you build it right it will be reliable. Just don't cheap out on parts. There are 11 second NA hondas that get driven daily and they don't have problems.
By Okie_doke
#279590 Why do you recommend higher compression pistons? Recommend a block guard?

And I'm not really sweating my buddy, his thing is he had an ls/v put together by this F'n idiot that no one should ever use so he has a bad taste in his mouth about ls/v
By poorman type-r
Okie_doke wrote:Why do you recommend higher compression pistons? Recommend a block guard?

And I'm not really sweating my buddy, his thing is he had an ls/v put together by this F'n idiot that no one should ever use so he has a bad taste in his mouth about ls/v

Because you get more power out of higher compression pistons. No, you don't need a block guard.
By bigJOE671
RWMIII wrote:

x2

X3

I have a B16a in my car right now it felt awesome until I drove my friends Gsr w/B18C5 motor. His car has more torque compared to mine!

The thing I would do though is...get a b20 block, preferbly the higher compression one. Do a B20 vtec, but remember change the oil pump to the GSR one. You would have awesome torque and this would put you around the 180hp range. But in order to be a reliable high revving motor you need to upgrade rods and pistons. That's just my $0.02