B16, B18, B20
By Mdmlteza
#278056 i have a b18a1 and i was going to put it in my 95 eg which has a d15 carby, when i took it to this honda guy he said that the swap will be a headache because the carby has a hydro clutch and the b18a1 had a cable clutch? is this going to be a massivce problem or what "?
By bks84
#278071 yea, the engine wont be the problem using the trans thats attached to it will... you'll wanna find a transmission from a 94+ Integra and use that. Aside from that, the engine will be the least of your worries.

Also, if I'm not mistaken you'll have to swap out all the fuel lines and stuff. Possibly tank and pump too. Ran across a few build threads where they owner does the same thing and in almost everyone they've had to swap tanks and lines. Mightve been for emissions/inspection reason however.
By Mdmlteza
bks84 wrote:yea, the engine wont be the problem using the trans thats attached to it will... you'll wanna find a transmission from a 94+ Integra and use that. Aside from that, the engine will be the least of your worries.

Also, if I'm not mistaken you'll have to swap out all the fuel lines and stuff. Possibly tank and pump too. Ran across a few build threads where they owner does the same thing and in almost everyone they've had to swap tanks and lines. Mightve been for emissions/inspection reason however.

so other than that everything should be sweet ? i know i need the 94+ integra mounts, but is there any other difficulties involved with the swap, any threads anyone knows of that shows you how to do the swap ?
By chrono404
#278385 you can use a cable tranny however have to get a hydro to cable conversion kit. every single one i have used has sucked. cable trannys also dont grab near as hard as the hydros.

if it was my car, i wouldnt put anything other then a hydro b tranny.

the diy how to guide thread has a thread on a bseries swap.
By bks84
#278394 The cable trans dont grab as hard as a hydro? what do you mean? Are you referring to the clutches? if so, 92+ b series aka big spline trans use the same clutch...
By chrono404
bks84 wrote:The cable trans dont grab as hard as a hydro? what do you mean? Are you referring to the clutches? if so, 92+ b series aka big spline trans use the same clutch...

Hydro and Cable transmissions use different clutches.

This is a link to a Stage 2 Hydro clutch, notice all the years are 94-01 all hydro trannys.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Competition-Sta ... 3f0dcaf149

And this one agian for a Stage 2, is for Cable clutches, the years are 90-93 Integra. Neither one says it will work for the other side as it wont.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/F1-RACING-STAGE ... 1c181389f6

Cable clutches do not grab as hard as Hydro clutches. My Good friends owned some Civic Wagons. one had a B18a ls with b16 cable tranny in it. He had multiple clutches in it trying to get one that grabbed to his liking. He then sold that one and got anouther wagon with a b16 with full bolt ons as well as 98 Spec ITR Tranny guts stuffed into a cable tranny box. He had a same brand stage 2 clutch i have in my delsol that can chirp tires in 5th gear on the freeway. But in his car it was weak. he ended up getting a stage 3 clutch which he ended up liking.

If you look on honda-tech or a site full of ef's/da's you will see people saying the same thing. The Cable transmissions do not grab the same as a Hydro clutch.

There is nothing more I can really give you to convience you. If you keep a cable tranny, get atleast a stage 3 clutch for it.
By bks84
#278430 alright, lol. you dont really need to convince me, I've used a "cable" big spline in a hydro swap of mine awhile back. I know it works, they're not different.

use a stage 3 clutch on a stock engine? nice. i dont understand why people think its neseccary

fwiw - look up part numbers for stock 94-01 Integra clutch and compare that to a 92-93 Integra.

94 Pressure plate - 22300-P54-010
94 Disc - 22200-P72-015

93 Pressure plate - 22300-P54-010
93 Disc - 22200-P72-015

i know they're stock OEM part number, but where do you think the aftermarket starts from? stock parts.
By Eg6H2D
chrono404 wrote:
bks84 wrote:The cable trans dont grab as hard as a hydro? what do you mean? Are you referring to the clutches? if so, 92+ b series aka big spline trans use the same clutch...

Hydro and Cable transmissions use different clutches.

This is a link to a Stage 2 Hydro clutch, notice all the years are 94-01 all hydro trannys.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Competition-Sta ... 3f0dcaf149

And this one agian for a Stage 2, is for Cable clutches, the years are 90-93 Integra. Neither one says it will work for the other side as it wont.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/F1-RACING-STAGE ... 1c181389f6

Cable clutches do not grab as hard as Hydro clutches. My Good friends owned some Civic Wagons. one had a B18a ls with b16 cable tranny in it. He had multiple clutches in it trying to get one that grabbed to his liking. He then sold that one and got anouther wagon with a b16 with full bolt ons as well as 98 Spec ITR Tranny guts stuffed into a cable tranny box. He had a same brand stage 2 clutch i have in my delsol that can chirp tires in 5th gear on the freeway. But in his car it was weak. he ended up getting a stage 3 clutch which he ended up liking.

If you look on honda-tech or a site full of ef's/da's you will see people saying the same thing. The Cable transmissions do not grab the same as a Hydro clutch.

There is nothing more I can really give you to convience you. If you keep a cable tranny, get atleast a stage 3 clutch for it.

When it it comes to the cable and hydro clutches, the SOHC is where they are different. Cable SOHC have 21 spline as where the Hydro have 20 IIRC.. the only difference would be the disc..

Look here..

21 Spline.. Cable trans 88-91 civics.. SOHC
http://www.ebay.com/itm/XTD-STAGE-3-RAC ... 58903c30d7

20 Spline 92-05 Civics SOHC
http://www.ebay.com/itm/F1-STAGE-3-CLUT ... 230c56d2eb