B16, B18, B20
By Moez_cx
#277343 Hey guys/gals I got b16 (black head so I'm guessn a 95 si) engine and I'm wondering wat octane fuel I shuld use I've been using 87 but it jus recently hit me that I'm running at a high compression ratio (bieng that it's an si) so my question what do u put In your tank. I don't have any problems I just don't want that to be a cause of a new 1 . Thanks
By poorman type-r
#277366 I would say 93 would be better. Also, try to only get gas at either Shell or Chevron gas stations, since they have the best quality of gasoline. Hope that helps. :thumb:
By fresh eh2*
poorman type-r wrote:I would say 93 would be better. Also, try to only get gas at either Shell or Chevron gas stations, since they have the best quality of gasoline. Hope that helps. :thumb:

I used 93 octane a few times on my b16 and i got terrible mpg's. I do agree though on Shell having the best quality gas. I use 89 octane Shell gas only. I also recommend to stop using the 87 octane, usually if you use that gas on b-series motors it causes a ping.
By poorman type-r
fresh eh2* wrote:
poorman type-r wrote:I would say 93 would be better. Also, try to only get gas at either Shell or Chevron gas stations, since they have the best quality of gasoline. Hope that helps. :thumb:

I used 93 octane a few times on my b16 and i got terrible mpg's. I do agree though on Shell having the best quality gas. I use 89 octane Shell gas only. I also recommend to stop using the 87 octane, usually if you use that gas on b-series motors it causes a ping.

That's what I was told also, So yeah just to be safe do 91 Shell, even try 93 and see if there is any difference at all. Gas prices are a bitch these days.

Oh and Fresh, even though I said what I said about the editing thing, between you and cesash I hope you get ROTM. Good luck. :thumb:
By bks84
#277393 a b16 isnt really "high compression", i think they're what 10:1 or something?

anyway, Honda recommended "premium" so I'd run that. Whatever Premium is in your area (more than likely 91, 92 or 93).
By fresh eh2*
#277471 As long as its not 87 you should be ok. Like I said I use 89 and my motor doesn't ping and i get good mpgs.

poorman type-r wrote:
fresh eh2* wrote:

That's what I was told also, So yeah just to be safe do 91 Shell, even try 93 and see if there is any difference at all. Gas prices are a bitch these days.

Oh and Fresh, even though I said what I said about the editing thing, between you and cesash I hope you get ROTM. Good luck. :thumb:

No problem man its cool. Thanks bro I appreciate the love.