B16, B18, B20
By jred
#276366 so im building a b20/vtec its gonna be my daily driver and it may see some track days..the parts i got so far are: B20b block, balanced and lightened crank, block guard, high pressure oil pump, B16a head full port and polish, brian crower springs, titanium valves & retainers, 5 angle valve job, professional product intake manifold and 68mm throttle body, S300 Hondata and a B16a gear box..

what i need help is with what Pistons to get, and Cams?? :?

for the pistons i wanna go high compression but im stuck on if to get flat or dished ones ( note: the head has a clover leaf chamber porting job on the head ) looks something like this:

oh and what else do you all recommend for my build?
By poorman type-r
#276369 Sounds like a good build so far. The motor me and my friend built was a N/A B20vtec 14.5:1 with a GSR head it was a beast. I doubt you want to go that high because it was fucking ridiculous having it as a DD lol. I would say 12:1 maybe 12.5:1 would be good. If you are building the head might as well build the block and squeeze out as much power as possible while still running pump gas :thumb:
Wiseco pistons are excellent, CP, JE are all good companies as well. Also, get aftermarket rods so you can spin your motor up to 9k.

For cams, it all depends on your personal preference and what kind of idle and drive-ability you prefer. I would go with Skunk 2 Pro 2 cams since you already have the aftermarket valvetrain. Maybe Crower stage 3 cams. It all depends on your preference though.
By jred
#276372 well the Skunk 2 Pro 2 cams will be easier to get and possibly cheaper " i know a dude who has a pair, who's thinking bout selling"

but for the pistons should i go flat or dished
i've heard the flat will be better for the cloverleaf chambers setup, but i also heard that it could also cause my engine to detonate :?

BTW did yall use a crank girdle in your B20?
By poorman type-r
#276505 Yes it had a girdle.

Detonation comes from poor gas you put in your motor. All you have to do is make sure that the pistons you install don't smack the cylinder head. From my knowledge you can't have high comp. unless you have somewhat of a dome on top of the piston because flat top and dished pistons are low comp.

I went searching and found this website that will help you answer your piston question.

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/blogs ... namic.html

Hope it helps.

:thumb:
By Gold DA9
#276557 I know my tuner has a set of Skunk2 Pro3s that I think he is selling.
By bks84
#276638 might try lookin into some RS Machine "ITR" Pistons. They available in 84.5mm and are about $300 i think. (USD)

I've used Buddy Club stage IV's in my last build, made pretty good power. My current setup will have Pro2's however.

Make sure when you choose a cam, your valve springs are made to work w/that cam. Sear pressures, coil bind, etc. If you dont, you will have problems. Also, if you get pro2's or anything ther than stock I suggest first, degreeing them in and also checking all your clearances: piston to valve and valve to valve to name a few. I believe its referred to "claying" the engine.

Good luck, have fun!
By poorman type-r
#276793 In my opinion get "CTR" pistons, you will make more power that way and still run pump gas.
By Fada Blayne
#276794 11.5:1 would be good for now. why go all out the first time? with all that u have listed you'll have more than enough to keep u happy with your dd. If anything save 12:1cp(+) for later down the line if and when you think youd like to get a rebuild.
By poorman type-r
Fada Blayne wrote:11.5:1 would be good for now. why go all out the first time? with all that u have listed you'll have more than enough to keep u happy with your dd. If anything save 12:1cp(+) for later down the line if and when you think youd like to get a rebuild.

Why not go all out? If you are going to FULLY build your motor than fully build that shit because down the road, if you want it faster, than you better hope you have the money to do it. 11.5:1 isn't enough in my eyes. 12:1+ is. I'm just sayin, it sounds like you want a built monster which is what I wanted when me and my buddy built the 14.5:1 motor.
By jred
#277062 a guy i know told me that if im using skunk2 pro2 cams i have to use a skunk2 valve train, i already have brian crowers spring and titanium valves and retainers won't that be able to handle the pro2's? or do i "have" to get the skunk2 valve train to run the pro2's?

as for pistons im gonna be using a set of Wiseco's aluminum-forged pistons 84mm Bore, std Size, +2cc Dish, 11.3-12 Comp Ratio and forged rods cuz ill be using stock sleeves or should i go 84.5mm bore?