B16, B18, B20
By grrttwright
#276027 I just did a full swap into my eg hatch. bought a shell and a b16a2 swap. got it all in and everything but it wont start. i have no idea why. it gets spark. the fuel rail gets fuel. and everything i can think of is working except the injectors maybe? it will start up with starter fluid strayed into it. any help is appreciated.
By poorman type-r
#276031 Is the timing correct? I remember when I did a swap, the time was off and it didn't start.
By grrttwright
#276033 im also throwing a code 8 if that helps..
By poorman type-r
#276058 Code 8 is TDC
Last edited by poorman type-r on Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Eg6H2D
RWMIII wrote:Code 8 is your TDC sensor. Which is located in the distributor. It is not replaceable. You will need to locate another distributor.

:thumb:
By grrttwright
#276204 so if i replace distributor it should start up?
By RWMIII
grrttwright wrote:so if i replace distributor it should start up?

Assuming you have everything else assembled/timed/grounded etc... correctly then yes.
By grrttwright
#276342 would the code 8 cause my injectors not to fire?
By RWMIII
grrttwright wrote:would the code 8 cause my injectors not to fire?

yes, the TDC sensor reads Top Dead Center and then sends that signal to the computer to tell it when to inject fuel.
By grrttwright
#276447 so i would still get spark though? (sorry, im fairly new to this)
By RWMIII
grrttwright wrote:so i would still get spark though? (sorry, im fairly new to this)

you might or might night get fuel and/or spark, if you do get any at all it will not be in the correct order that is needed to run the motor.

A TDC sensor is used to tell the ECU when the crank rotation is at (Top Dead Center). Which allows the ECU to determine which injector to fire, and plug to ignite.

Most cars use a Crank Position Sensor(CKP), in conjunction with a Cylinder Position Sensor (CYP) and Top Dead Center (TDC) sensors to determine fuel and spark timing.

Honda's have all 3 built into the distributor housing. And cannot be replaced individually, as they are not sold individually. You can either rebuild the distributor with another known working unit or purchase a new one.
By grrttwright
#276460 alright, i will replace my distributor and hope it starts..
By Eg6H2D
grrttwright wrote:alright, i will replace my distributor and hope it starts..

:thumb:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-IGNI ... 25623542a6