B16, B18, B20
By LaosToaster
#274262 This problem has been going on for many months but didn't really bother me until yesterday where it jus happens every single time I take off. So I'm a little worried about my hatchy now.

Ok here's everything it does; my car jerks violently as if I'm tapping on the gas rapidly, and then once the jerking stops, I lose sagnificant amount of power for like 20-30 second,then power restores like nothing happened. I have to keep light on the gas or it will jerk again.

-Happens especially when shifting to second gear.
-happens only when engine and engine bay is hot(not overheating, texas weather)
-when shifting under moderate to heavy loads.
-will jerk if not shifting smoothly
-will not jerk if I shift very smoothly into second,third, etc, with light gas input.
-never happens when engines is still warming up and cold
-I'm not sure if this problem is related to my bouncing idle when cold.
-no I don't have bad transmission, fresh trans fluid less than 2000 miles
-while driving with the loss of power after the jerking, if I try to give it a load it will jerk.
-somethimes up shifting helps it get out of the power loss phase.

I don't kno what the hell could be the problem.

I thought its my distributor, nope I have two of them swapped them both, did the same thing, one is new too.

I'm thinking it could be my o2 sensor but I'm nt sure of the symptoms of a failing o2 sensor.

Maybe a too hot intake tempuraturem I don't kno this is soo hard to diagnose. And I'm actually good at diagnosing. My friend has the same exact problem and he has an LS. He's clueless too.

So pretty much if I get this solved u solve another persons problem too lol.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I hope to get any info that will lead to solving my issue, thanks guys.
:thumb: 8) :thumb: :thumb:
By OmarG
#274638 http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=19826

Try a new fuel filter, and take the injectors out and clean the little filter caps on them out with some carb cleaner. I replaced my injectors and the problem went away instantly.
By Gustavo
OmarG wrote:http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=19826

Try a new fuel filter, and take the injectors out and clean the little filter caps on them out with some carb cleaner. I replaced my injectors and the problem went away instantly.

:thumb:
By OmarG
#274650 My guess is the quality of gas here in Texas is getting shittier. I only run Shell Premium. I changed fuel filters and brown, tea colored gas poured out.

Changing the filters helped my sputtering a tiny but, but once I cleaned and swapped out my injectors, everything got better.
By LaosToaster
#274670 I only use shell premium gas too. Hmm I don't recall checking my fuel filter if clogged when changing my fuel pump.

Oh yea I'm also running the wrong ecu. P75 on b16, yea I kno.

I have done some more research on this and ppl said that if ur car isn't tune properly ur iacv won't work right especially when engine drops rpms quickly(upshifting):. Something like that, I'm so mad I can't find that page again it explained it really well.
So I guess start from having the right ecu. But the thng is is that I don't have an iacv on my throttle bdy.

Would fuel injector cleaners help a bit? If so, which one ud recommend?

Thanks guys I apreciate the help. And when I do solve this eventually I wiill let u guys kno.
By LaosToaster
#274778 Very helpful link thanks. I'm gonna go with the duralube cuz it won't hurt my nylon stuff in the fuel system.

Also an update: its seems its gotten much much worse. Happens all the time now:x . Any gear, any tempurature, any load. Damn this car. The only sure way to not make it jerk is not pressing the pedal probably more than 25% throttle and upshifting with no gas input for the first .5 seconds after shifting, also gotta rev match in every shift, just to really smooth it out. If I try to stomp it on it, it'll jerk. Not fun driving around knowing ur power isn't there when u need it and on top of that hoping it doesn't fuck up on me when going uphill :thumbdown:
By LaosToaster
#274792 Yyea ur right, but I've been running the p75 for more than half a year without this problem until lately now. I'm gonna clean my injectors and buy a new fuel filter.
By Eg6H2D
#274895 So your running a Non Vtec ECU, with a Fully VTEC motor.. Smh.. I Say ECU 1st to get your fuel maps and timing right hope fully you didnt mess anything up.. Jerking/ Hesitation can be numerous things.. AIR, Fuel Spark.. if it's not right and given at the proper moments the car will run like shit.. ....

Not you have to go throught the process of elimination! .. Start with the fuel, then spark!

How does it idle. how does it rev when not moving and not in gear?

How's your MAP sensor?
By Fada Blayne
EG6b20R wrote:So your running a Non Vtec ECU, with a Fully VTEC motor.. Smh.. I Say ECU 1st to get your fuel maps and timing right hope fully you didnt mess anything up.. Jerking/ Hesitation can be numerous things.. AIR, Fuel Spark.. if it's not right and given at the proper moments the car will run like shit.. ....

Not you have to go throught the process of elimination! .. Start with the fuel, then spark!

How does it idle. how does it rev when not moving and not in gear?

How's your MAP sensor?

x2
By LaosToaster
#274951 I bought the car and it came with the p75, but the 6+ months I've drove with it was perfect, took long road trips back and forth, she ran perfectly, of course without vtec.

Idles perfect when warm(bouncy when cold), revs smoothly in neutral.

I guess u can say the problem was intermittent at first, now it jus happens all the time.

I have not checked tthe map sensor yet.
By Datsmart
#275085 I had similar "bouncing throttle" issues.
Turned out it was bad wiring to the TPS, (throttle position sensor).
Swapping out the engine harness cured it.
By OmarG
#275148 If you need to, if cleaning your injectors doesn't help, I'd be more than willing to meet you either in South Austin or somewhere in between (maybe San Marcos,) off of I-35 to let you bum my ECU and try it out. If your VTEC isn't popping, we have other issues.

Also, Try taking a look at your plugs and plug wires. Make sure you aren't arching. I'm pretty sure it's the Injectors though. (I hope it is.)
By LaosToaster
#275161 Haha I don't my vtec wired up yet. Yea I needa check my plugs, the wires are brand new.

Yea. Its pretty sad, its my first honda and I have yet to experience vtec :thumbdown:

I got my haynes book, it say under "engine stumbles on acceleration" :

Spark plugs fouled
Fuel injection system faulty
Fuel filter clogged
Incorrect ignition timing( mine is set at stock timing)
Intake manifold air leak..

Last time I check my plugs were black and dried up.
Needa check the fuel system.
I kno I have an air leak but can't find the bitch.

If all else fails then yea it could be the ecu. All that heating and cooling wears out components, just like the infamous main relays.