B16, B18, B20
By EG*RYDER
#272588 So i just got a b18c5 from a friend and i dont want to convert to obd2 to bar so i plan on throwing my type r internal into a GSR and im wondering if its a good idea? i know it will raise compression to 11.08:1 which is better than the stock10.6:1 compression which brings me closer to the JDM B!8C. but just wanted a second opinion what do you guys thing???
By EJ1_MK
#272592 So its a usdm 97-01 ITR motor? and its obd1 correct?

And you should be fine running that compression on pump gas the ITR motor from Japan is 11.1:1 So it will be closer to 200hp than 190 from the USDM versions. But really converting it should only be the sensors and the dizzy. Or just finding a OBD1 gsr engine harness and swapping it into the car.

I'm for it either way. be a great street car.
By EG*RYDER
#272595 No its usdm b18c5 obd2.
By RWMIII
EG*RYDER wrote:No its usdm b18c5 obd2.

you will be fine.
By EJ1_MK
#272600 Just get a conversion harness, for an obd2 to obd1 ecu.
By That One Dude
#272811 He can't just get a conversion harness. In Cali, if the engine is OBD2, the whole car has to be to OBD2 emissions specs. And since the B18C5 was not around until 1997, there's no way around that unless he throws the B18C5 components into the B18C1.

OP, just make sure you put the valve springs from the ITR head into the GSR head. Might as well swap over the valves, too, since they're lighter than the GSR valves.
By EG*RYDER
#272837 That was my original plan to throw everything in a 95 GSR so i could bar!

Now would it be safe to run the p72 ecu?
By RWMIII
EG*RYDER wrote:That was my original plan to throw everything in a 95 GSR so i could bar!

Now would it be safe to run the p72 ecu?

As long as it is an OBD1 P72, you will be good to go. I would honestly chip out an ECU and get a tune.
By That One Dude
#272903 You "can" run it at 11.1:1 CR on the P72, but it will detonate and run rough due to the different spark and fuel requirements of the added compression.

My recommendation is to get the P72 chipped and have it tuned before you Bar it to make sure you're not running too rich or too lean.
By Fada Blayne
#272915 cant he just invest in a s300?
By EJ1_MK
That One Dude wrote:He can't just get a conversion harness. In Cali, if the engine is OBD2, the whole car has to be to OBD2 emissions specs. And since the B18C5 was not around until 1997, there's no way around that unless he throws the B18C5 components into the B18C1.

OP, just make sure you put the valve springs from the ITR head into the GSR head. Might as well swap over the valves, too, since they're lighter than the GSR valves.

Ok so why not just change over all the sensors and dizzy and injectors and keep it obd1 if he already has a gsr, insteady of wasting a ton of time swapping rods, pistons and cams, etc into a gsr.

As well the compression bump can easily be taken care of with, a fuel pressure regulator and spark plugs. Chipping the ecu will help but its not going to hurt anything. It really isn't that much higher than a factory gsr. Back in the day we would deck the head of a gsr or b16 to raise the compression and not do much of anything to the fuel because it was not needed. This is done at dealerships all the time, they are not going to take the time to re-tune an ecu when the head gets warped, they deck it put it back on the car, DONE. That is what they did to my d16y8 10 yrs ago and it went from 9.6:1 to around 10.5:1 possible more its been so long and they did nothing else beside hand me the keys back and said it runs strong. No fuel mods, or ecu mods they didn't even adjust the dizzy for it.

And what he is talking about doing has been done over and over and over I can't even count how many times. Yes to be on the safe side get the ecu tuned with chrome of s300 or whatever, but it is not needed.
By RWMIII
EJ1_MK wrote:
That One Dude wrote:He can't just get a conversion harness. In Cali, if the engine is OBD2, the whole car has to be to OBD2 emissions specs. And since the B18C5 was not around until 1997, there's no way around that unless he throws the B18C5 components into the B18C1.

Ok so why not just change over all the sensors and dizzy and injectors and keep it obd1 if he already has a gsr, insteady of wasting a ton of time swapping rods, pistons and cams, etc into a gsr.

I have to agree that converting the C5 to OBD1 would be less of a hassle, less money and just all around more viable.
By EG*RYDER
#273034 well the reason im asking is im gonna swap internals to the gsr and then run a stock obd1 p72 just to bar cause they check the ecu out here in cali then i have a chipped p28 im going to tune on chrome.

It should be safe from my house to the bar and back right?
By EG*RYDER
#273035 Oh and i cant convert the c5 into obd1 cause bar will check and see its a obd2 engine and fail me cause i didn't convert all the emissions shit over to obd2!!!
By RWMIII
EG*RYDER wrote:Oh and i cant convert the c5 into obd1 cause bar will check and see its a obd2 engine and fail me cause i didn't convert all the emissions shit over to obd2!!!

gotcha. well after you stuff the GSR internals into the R, you will be fine with the P72, chipped or not.