B16, B18, B20
By EG*RYDER
#273055 Actually its the opposite type r internal into a gsr!
By EJ1_MK
#273061 Do they run the vin on the motor? I live where there are no emissions laws so swapping engines in and out is not a big deal. And you should be fine either way. 11.08:1 compression should be fine just make sure to put type r spark plugs in the gsr head. Can you just swap the heads over will they notice that? and run the gsr fuel rail and itr intake. that would be what I would do, swap the internals to the gsr and then just put the ITR head on the gsr block cause the vin is on the block and not the head. There are so many options.
By EG*RYDER
#273062 Yeah they check the vin on the block and the year on the head.
By EJ1_MK
#273063 wow, that is crazy I would go nuts. with all the little rules and regulations you guys out in CA have to go through
By RWMIII
EG*RYDER wrote:Actually its the opposite type r internal into a gsr!

thats what I meant. Damn typos.
By That One Dude
#273097 I'm going to nit pick just a teeny tiny bit here. And that's just my OCD kicking in. The LS, GSR, and ITR fuel rails are identical in flow rate.

On to my real point for this post.

Ir order for the car to pass emissions in Cali, it has to be running right. Not too lean, not too rich. The stock P72 ECU might not be able to get the fuel and spark parameters proper in order to keep the emissions in check per the requirements of the State of California. I don't know the exact laws in Cali regarding tuning and such, but I imagine it's such that if the ECU is OBD1 in an OBD1 car, the engine code and serial number check out to be OBD1, and the emissions are good according to the sniffer you'd be ok. Correct me if I'm wrong though, considering I live in Texas.
By bks84
That One Dude wrote:I'm going to nit pick just a teeny tiny bit here. And that's just my OCD kicking in. The LS, GSR, and ITR fuel rails are identical in flow rate.

On to my real point for this post.

Ir order for the car to pass emissions in Cali, it has to be running right. Not too lean, not too rich. The stock P72 ECU might not be able to get the fuel and spark parameters proper in order to keep the emissions in check per the requirements of the State of California. I don't know the exact laws in Cali regarding tuning and such, but I imagine it's such that if the ECU is OBD1 in an OBD1 car, the engine code and serial number check out to be OBD1, and the emissions are good according to the sniffer you'd be ok. Correct me if I'm wrong though, considering I live in Texas.

He's worried about passing BAR also. I believe if your car is swapped with any other engine than its stock from teh factory engine it has to bas the BAR test as well as emissions.

I did some research on it in the past and its just plain stupid some of the regulations and stuff that are in place. I know for example its impossible to BAR a 95 Civic w/a 99 B20Z2, because the engine is considered a light truck engine. Kinda ridiculous some of the crap that people have to jump through just to enjoy their hobby...

EJ1_MK and I live in the same area (he's in KS and I'm in MO). MO has a very simple "MVI" or motor vehicle inspection where lights, brakes, and typical safety stuff is checked. KS, however has none of that. You could literally register a car with ZERO trouble there.
By EJ1_MK
#273330 I know, the only thing that they check for if the car was not titled in KS originally is that the vin number is not showing up stolen in the system and then they check everything you listed. But for most cars sold here in KS you don't have to run them through but once and then its a done deal after that you can mod to all hell and not worry about how nor what will happen.
By Eg6H2D
EJ1_MK wrote:I know, the only thing that they check for if the car was not titled in KS originally is that the vin number is not showing up stolen in the system and then they check everything you listed. But for most cars sold here in KS you don't have to run them through but once and then its a done deal after that you can mod to all hell and not worry about how nor what will happen.

:thumb:

Same here in Mass.. 1995 and older do no emmissions at all Just safety.. i believe in 2012 that will be raise to 98 and older vehicle models ..
By EG*RYDER
#274654 You guys are a bunch of lucky Bastard that's why I wish I could move sometimes I hate cali's restrictions!