B16, B18, B20
By vdub87
#272017 Hey guys i am new here and i am also new to the whole motor swap thing... I have a 94 coupe with a b16a2 and lsd trans, the ecu is a p08....
1. is it supposed to smoke alot when the vtec kicks in?
2. what should the gas millage be on something like this?
3. when at high rpm and shifting from 2nd to 3rd and 4th to 5th should it grind a little? it does not grind at low rpm...
By bigJOE671
vdub87 wrote:1. is it supposed to smoke alot when the vtec kicks in? Don't know the answer but I have the same problem
2. what should the gas millage be on something like this? My gas mileage is around 22 mpg since I got my car (94' Si hb). But it changed since I changed my ecu
3. when at high rpm and shifting from 2nd to 3rd and 4th to 5th should it grind a little? it does not grind at low rpm...This means your tranny was beat on really hard.
[/b]
By Eg6H2D
vdub87 wrote:Hey guys i am new here and i am also new to the whole motor swap thing... I have a 94 coupe with a b16a2 and lsd trans, the ecu is a p08....
3. when at high rpm and shifting from 2nd to 3rd and 4th to 5th should it grind a little? it does not grind at low rpm...

your 1994 Coupe what model is it? DX or EX(Sunroof)?

#1 get the right ECU and Map for the Motor. At worst you should be running a p28 not P08.. When vtec kicks in, what color is the smoke? white? Usually that's oil seals when that happens valve seals to sound correct.. does it also do it if you rev your engine around the VTEC point of about 5600 rpm while not moving? do you see the smoke then?

.. if your trans is good it should not grind at any RPM is the trans is Healthy, but it being a B swap make sure you have the right linkages and your Linkage bushings are good..
By mooze
#272032 answer to 1.NO sounds like you guys will be needing rings soon
By poorman type-r
#272078 When you check what color smoke it is, please don't sit in the car and look in the rear view when vtec kicks because even if it has a hint of blue in it you will see nothing but white. So either have someone tail you or be behind your own car when it cracks vtec. My brothers b16a2 won't engage vtec until it warms up so the best thing to do is just have someone there with you and drive it.

If it is new rings then fix it before it gets worse. My brother gets about 25/32 in his EM1. As far as your tranny, I know 3rd gear has always been the first to go for me, so it could be your synchros or how you shift, you might not have a smooth transition between gears when you are racing your car. Who knows. Once it starts to slip in and out of gears though that is when you should think about getting it fixed or saving the headache and get a whole new tranny.
By bks84
vdub87 wrote:Hey guys i am new here and i am also new to the whole motor swap thing... I have a 94 coupe with a b16a2 and lsd trans, the ecu is a p08....

1. techincally, no it should smoke in high rpms. but a lot of hondas do. mine does and it has 224k miles on it

2. i can get 30-320 miles per tank.

3. no, it shouldnt grind at all. you more than likely have worn syncros.

If youre running a P08 is it chipped? I realize the ECU is a VTEC ecu, but if its not running a b series map (program) then that may affect MPG's. if its not chipped, get in touch with a local tuner who can chip and burn you a base map (or tune it) and if no one is local to you contact xenocron (http://www.xenocron.com/services.php)
By vdub87
#272197 I dont know if the p08 is chipped all that the guy i got it from keeps saying is that it is Japanese.... i will have to have a friend of mine check the color of the smoke... ill keep you posted
By vdub87
#272199 oh and it is a ex w/sunroof
By Eg6H2D
vdub87 wrote:I dont know if the p08 is chipped all that the guy i got it from keeps saying is that it is Japanese.... i will have to have a friend of mine check the color of the smoke... ill keep you posted

Yea it is a JDM ECU.. from a JDM D15b Vtec motor. if yuo can get that chipped you'll be golden for a while with the right map for your engine..
By chrono404
#272295 as most people have said you need to get your ecu chipped and have a correct base map installed on it. Its possible its been chipped however with how its driving its not the correct map.

B16's get pretty bad Fuel Economy IMO. best I ever got ever was 27mpg babing it on the freeway. Average was 21-25. I did mostly city driving with a little freeway on driving for my average drive.

Now that I have a JDM b20b and b16 tranny I get 19-23mpg. Its alot faster but i dont get as good of fuel economy. However the car is typically driven hard as its my "Toy"/"Fun" Car. It only comes out to play.

The Big Reason your fuel economy is so bad is because of the B16 transmission. If you put a LS(b18b) Transmission on your car it will get pretty good fuel economy. However it will be stupid slow.
By vdub87
#272539 so the smoke coming out is black so i think who ever said it was oil seals is right. another question what should the gap of the plugs be because when i pulled them they were .042 but the ngk book says .052 and at autozone they say .052, so whats right?
By RWMIII
#272543 black smoke means running rich.

Plug gap spec on that motor is .050