B16, B18, B20
By elrompetoto
#271417 my boy wants 2 run e85 on his b16a, motor is stock will he get more power then just runing 93 on a good tune?
By RWMIII
#271426 On a stock motor there is really no reason for him to run E85. If he does, he will need to get it tuned. You can run alot more timing with E85, hence the power gains that you see. And where 14.7:1 is stoich on regular gasoline, it is only 9.765:1 on E85. It also lacks the protective coating that regular gas provides to prevent corrosion from water and air. So unless he is highly boosted, I would stay away from it.
By elrompetoto
RWMIII wrote:On a stock motor there is really no reason for him to run E85. If he does, he will need to get it tuned. You can run alot more timing with E85, hence the power gains that you see. And where 14.7:1 is stoich on regular gasoline, it is only 9.765:1 on E85. It also lacks the protective coating that regular gas provides to prevent corrosion from water and air. So unless he is highly boosted, I would stay away from it.
he wants 2 make a few more hp and save a lil on gas sins e85 is cheaper and yeah he knows he has 2 tune
By RWMIII
#271433 well he is going to lose gas mileage with E85. Something like ~30%. So even if the E85 is cheaper he will be using more. So it will come out about even pricewise.
By elrompetoto
RWMIII wrote:well he is going to lose gas mileage with E85. Something like ~30%. So even if the E85 is cheaper he will be using more. So it will come out about even pricewise.
got u thanks 4 the info
By RWMIII
#271436 no prob.
By elrompetoto
RWMIII wrote:no prob.
Most stock B16 swaps make around 135-145 whp on our dyno. By making the switch to E85, we were able to run a good bit more ignition timing, and the results are good. We were able to make up for most of the power lost through the drive train. On this pull, we stopped at 7600 RPM, because power was dropping off, and there was no reason to keep going.

My boy sent me a link 2 a ht where they said they got good ganes from e85 on a stock b 16 we ran the # and he will wast about 400 to 450 converting 2 e85 and geting a tune u think it's worth it ?
By Fada Blayne
#271592 think about it really. It might all sound nice but i personally think its not practical. think about all that your going to have to do just to run the e85.

was that $400-$450 a year? regardless you are going to spend that on your tune anyways and corn oil is notorious for killing fuel systems
By RWMIII
Fada Blayne wrote:think about it really. It might all sound nice but i personally think its not practical. think about all that your going to have to do just to run the e85.

was that $400-$450 a year? regardless you are going to spend that on your tune anyways and corn oil is notorious for killing fuel systems

agreed.

It is not worth it on a stock motor at all. Or even a slightly modded one at that. Yes it allows you to run more timing like I said before, but at what cost? Slowly killing fuel system components, losing around 30% fuel economy, and once tuned you will have to continue running the e85 because the tunes are so drastically different you risk damaging the motor if you decide to put regular gas back in it. Unless you get it retuned again for pump gas of course.

In a nutshell it may be cheaper at the pump, but all of the other cost factors outweigh that.
By elrompetoto
Fada Blayne wrote:think about it really. It might all sound nice but i personally think its not practical. think about all that your going to have to do just to run the e85.

no 400 to 450 2 convert over 2 e85

all u need is biger fuel pump
bigger injectors
a good tune
By elrompetoto
RWMIII wrote:

agreed.

It is not worth it on a stock motor at all. Or even a slightly modded one at that. Yes it allows you to run more timing like I said before, but at what cost? Slowly killing fuel system components, losing around 30% fuel economy, and once tuned you will have to continue running the e85 because the tunes are so drastically different you risk damaging the motor if you decide to put regular gas back in it. Unless you get it retuned again for pump gas of course.

In a nutshell it may be cheaper at the pump, but all of the other cost factors outweigh that.

how dose it kill the fuel system?
By RWMIII
#271801 alchohol damages rubber