B16, B18, B20
By Gustavo
#270506 I wanna change my stock rod bolts to ARP rod bolts but i was wondering if somebody had a DIY with pics so i can look at it n study it. Wat should i b looking forward 2? Any tricks that'll help out n is it hard 2 change rod bolts?
By forcefedEG
#271548 Jw why your looking into changing them? The best way imo, is to pull the engine down and take the rods and pistons out, you should have your rods resized, and balanced at the least and if you want shot-peen them. The resize is critical for bearing crush when its torque down. Factory rod bolts are more of a stud than a bold its not just a remove and replace install, just my .02 hope it helps :thumb:
By Gustavo
forcefedEG wrote:Jw why your looking into changing them? The best way imo, is to pull the engine down and take the rods and pistons out, you should have your rods resized, and balanced at the least and if you want shot-peen them. The resize is critical for bearing crush when its torque down. Factory rod bolts are more of a stud than a bold its not just a remove and replace install, just my .02 hope it helps :thumb:

Wanting 2 change them because thats the weakest point on a ls bottem end. N i wanna b able 2 shift around 7200-8000 with out worrying about throwing a rod. N yeah i wanna do it the right way n im already that far down so i will b changing my piston rings, n main rod bearings as well.
By bks84
#271555 What he's getting at is it's not something you should do yourself. the bolts have to be pressed in, and when thats down the big end of the rod distorts and essentially has to be made round again.

contact a local machine shop, I think I paid $10 a rod to have ARP's installed, cant remember exactly, I had a lot done all on the same ticket.
By Gustavo
bks84 wrote:What he's getting at is it's not something you should do yourself. the bolts have to be pressed in, and when thats down the big end of the rod distorts and essentially has to be made round again.

contact a local machine shop, I think I paid $10 a rod to have ARP's installed, cant remember exactly, I had a lot done all on the same ticket.

Ok i see. Yeah i just called n they quoted me $220-$250 2 install ARP rod bolts, piston rings, n bearings. It also includes remachining/resizing n stuff. Wat do ya think?
By bks84
#271567 Seems fair... I guess. But chose a machine shop on other credentials besides price. Cheap is not always best...

I paid $316 to have my B20 block clean, bored (84.5), honed, ARP rod bolts installed, rods resized/reconditioned, pistons mated to rods, entire rotating assembly balanced (including clutch/flywheel assembly and fluidampr). I chose them for a few reasons, the fast shop in town uses them for their machine work, my dad knew the machinist, my uncle had work done by the same place years earlier (the car is still running, btw).

dont just pick a place because they're cheap, shop around and try to get a feel for them... as people and as a business.
By Gustavo
bks84 wrote:Seems fair... I guess. But chose a machine shop on other credentials besides price. Cheap is not always best...

I paid $316 to have my B20 block clean, bored (84.5), honed, ARP rod bolts installed, rods resized/reconditioned, pistons mated to rods, entire rotating assembly balanced (including clutch/flywheel assembly and fluidampr). I chose them for a few reasons, the fast shop in town uses them for their machine work, my dad knew the machinist, my uncle had work done by the same place years earlier (the car is still running, btw).

dont just pick a place because they're cheap, shop around and try to get a feel for them... as people and as a business.

I've done small stuff with them like get my d series head resurfaced along with new valve seals n stuff, n they resurfaced my gsr head. But I will ask around n see wat shop they recommend.