B16, B18, B20
By 92hatchie
#269207 ok fellaz maybe a noob questionbut my hatch is overheating. i have replaced the thermostat, replaced the radiator and the fan is on, i connnected it directly to power so its on head gasket is fine, head looks good. how do u know if a water pump is any good is there any way of testing? another question a b16 water pump fits a gsr right?
By RWMIII
#269240 1 you will hear a growling noise, which means that there is an impellar shaft bearing failure or 2 it will leak when engine is cold, motor off, no pressure. Yes the b16 waterpump will work.
By EG {FIVE-500}
#269244 i had a simular problem mine would got hot and cold constantly at points it was hitting red. and when i was fixing my starter problem i changed about 3 or 4 blown fuse's on the board and what ever ones i changed the heating problem has never come back it sits just under half way. so its a long shot but see if you have any blown fuse's :thumb:
By 92hatchie
#269326 imma have to figure out if its working... i have a extra b16 water pump dat i might swap in to find out if its the water pump..
By Stank.EG6.Stay.Nasty
#269329 if you swap the thermostat and it still happens.. the basic other way to go is water pump
By RWMIII
#269335 Did you bleed the system?
By 1ACarlos
#269500 Usually a bad bearing will make it grind or it will start leaking.
By 92hatchie
#269874 yes i changed the thermostat and i also bled the system and it still overheats. i removed the water pump yesterday and it wasnt leaking abd the gear for the belt seems a little loose.. im not sure if its good. im just going to replace the water pump and hope dat was it
By RWMIII
408eg6 wrote:yes i changed the thermostat and i also bled the system and it still overheats. i removed the water pump yesterday and it wasnt leaking abd the gear for the belt seems a little loose.. im not sure if its good. im just going to replace the water pump and hope dat was it

When was the last time the timing belt tensioner was replaced? If the belt was kind of loose then you may want to change that out while you already have it torn apart :thumb:
By 92hatchie
#270990 thank all u guys for the help! im running cool now
By ImThaBean
#270991 You also shoudl have checked the thermo switch when you checked the fan and replaced rad and thermostat. Usually. 9/10 the thermo switch is bad when you have to swap the rad/thermostat.
By 92hatchie
#271007 yes i will check it tomorro. thnk u
By RWMIII
ImThaBean wrote:You also shoudl have checked the thermo switch when you checked the fan and replaced rad and thermostat. Usually. 9/10 the thermo switch is bad when you have to swap the rad/thermostat.

I have never heard of the ECT failing due to rad/stat issues, is there something to confirm this?
By RWMIII
408eg6 wrote:thank all u guys for the help! im running cool now

so what was the fix?
By 92hatchie
#271129 I had to replace the water pump. I ended up using a b16 water pump I had laying around and it worked. It was a pain in the ass getting the timing belt back in correctly but it's done. Now I need to fix my turn signals and soon I shall do a swap hopefully