B16, B18, B20
By EG*RYDER
#268363 So I was thinking of doing a GSR swap in my EK SI and I was talking to some of my friends and they said to save money I should just use my b16 block and bore it to a 2.0L so I asked some machine shops cause i'm sure I would have to sleeve but they confirmed that b16 cylinders can take a 84mm bore just fine without sleeving, is there any truth to this? I'm also going to mate a GSR head to it and raise compression to 11.5:1 but I read on forums that the b16 head would flow better but the GSR head I have has a port and polish on the intake side so i'm undecided on this so what do you guys think? Any help would be appreciated!
By RWMIII
#268371 An 84mm bore on a B16 comes out to just over 1.7 liters. Stock bore is 81mm. And this would most def need to be sleeved!! The b16 only flows slightly better than the GSR head. If it were me I would do the GSR swap with a better intake mani.

From EDYN:The GSR head has a larger ID to the intake seat than the B16 head which is intended to feed a 1.8 liter engine...We don't see the differences that some seem to believe exist, with the B16 head being more swirl oriented and the GSR leaning more toward tumble. On the all-out killer heads, our best head based on a B16 casing will outflow an equivalently prepared GSR by perhaps 5 cfm at .500 lift and that's not enough to cause one to out perform the other in the real world.

http://www.b20vtec.com/forums/b-series- ... isons.html
By chrono404
#268378 although you can bore a b16 to 84mm you wont have the stroke needed to make into a 2.0liter. Also on the B20's that come with 84mm stroke the sleeves are all one unit as aposed to each sleeve being its own in the other B's.

Also with only 6mm bewteen cylinders your sleeves will be fragile, The Rod/Stoke ratio will also be thrown off. the B17 is also 1.7 based on the b16, however it strokes it out just a bit. There is a good reason they didn't just bore out a b16 to make it a 1.7 for the b17.

While it can be done, it doesn't make much sense to do it. for the money involved you would be better off doing a LS or B20 vtec. you have most of the parts needed with your B16, You would just need to get GSR Timing belt, Water pump, and ARP Rod and head bolts. then get a tune(which you would have to do with your 1.7liter b16 anyway).
By Eg6H2D
chrono404 wrote:although you can bore a b16 to 84mm you wont have the stroke needed to make into a 2.0liter. Also on the B20's that come with 84mm stroke the sleeves are all one unit as aposed to each sleeve being its own in the other B's.

Also with only 6mm bewteen cylinders your sleeves will be fragile, The Rod/Stoke ratio will also be thrown off. the B17 is also 1.7 based on the b16, however it strokes it out just a bit. There is a good reason they didn't just bore out a b16 to make it a 1.7 for the b17.

While it can be done, it doesn't make much sense to do it. for the money involved you would be better off doing a LS or B20 vtec. you have most of the parts needed with your B16, You would just need to get GSR Timing belt, Water pump, and ARP Rod and head bolts. then get a tune(which you would have to do with your 1.7liter b16 anyway).

Could not have said it any better!! ^^ :thumb:
By EG*RYDER
#268623 Yeah i see that now but i shouldn't have to sleeve cause i'm not boosting right??? And the GSR head is gonna raise compression so it should be better than a LS?VTEC i dont feel like going that route its not reliable everyone i know including myself has had one and theres always problems plus cant smog i'm in cali, doing this b16/GSR setup i wont ahve to bar.
By EG*RYDER
#268624 What would a safe bore be without sleeving .5?
By Fada Blayne
#268656 .5 should be perfectly fine :thumb:
By flyinryan122
#268677 B16 = torqueless wonder, but high revving.
B18 = Less revvs (not by much), but makes a lot more torque. Which is much better.

Take the ls/vtec, or straight gsr route. Or b20vtec if you plan to not boost it.
By EG*RYDER
#277213 i have to agree!
By OhShft!
#277312 you can boost a b20vtec just use lower compression pistons i have a gsr block which i bored to 84 mm (2.0) and darton sleeved it and used 9.5:1 compression so in a nut shell its a b20vtec in a gsr block with a eagle crank
By EG*RYDER
#277315 the only problem is its not that reliable and i cant bar that here in cali!!!