B16, B18, B20
By bocherks1
#264690 Have 3 problems with b18c i swapped a couple months back.

93civic cx, 0bd2 engine/tranny/ 0bd1 p72 ecu

1. I had oil on my plugs/wires - changed the valve cover gaskets and tried to clean as much oil out of the cylinder as i could and on the plugs. Past 2 days has been running normal, then today again almost feel hesitant while i speed up. Wondering if i should just buy new plugs because its not getting spark.?

2. When i swapped the motor i had the full GSR parts car - I used the GSR resinator/cat (had a secondaryo2 sensor attached) and attached it to mine.
it went >headers>my cat>gsr cat> my exhaust. I did this because of the gap left.
Wondering because the gasket broke the fumes coming into the car?

3. Car is running rich it smells. Not sure If i just smell the exhaust fumes because of the missing gaskets. Does have black soot on exhaust and i am burning oil. No CEL tho. Im guessing a bad o2 sensor? but would there be a code? (just started recently the smell tho)

My idle is adjusted because i had a obd2 p72 ecu which i didn't want to use and wire the secondary o2. Adjusted to get the car moving. Now have a obd1 p72. It hunts around 14xx-15xx or 18xx-20xx rpm. Had a heater hose leak.

Any questions on explaining, or things i should try or what would work best would be much appreciated.
By RWMIII
#264694 well if you are using an obd1 ecu with obd2 components on the car that is a problem.

its not just as plug and play as it looks.
Last edited by RWMIII on Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By bocherks1
#264695 would i need a obd1 to obd2 jumper then? Im using a 98 GSR harness.
By bocherks1
#264697 yah seen that, actually have it saved, jw what u ment by

"well if you are using an obd1 ecu with obd2 components on the car that is a problem.

its not just as plug and play as it looks."

yeah i have knock, vtec, pressure switch etc. wired. Not throwing codes...

I dont have iabs wired because new intake manifold is on the way.

reason why i didn't use the obd2 p72 ecu that came with the gsr because i could wire up the secondary o2 sensor properly and kept throwing codes, bogging and running improper.
By RWMIII
#264722 lets take a diff approach. thought this was gonna be another wiring nightmare issue. my bad 8)

1. Get your spark back.

2. Fix the exhaust. (try to ditch the 2nd cat)

sounds like you have the wiring right cept the IABs. Fix those 2 things and it should stop smelling rich and should start running alot better.
Last edited by RWMIII on Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
By bocherks1
#264739 I'll try and clean the spark plugs this week and same with the cylinder holes. MAybe buy some new spark plugs just incase. I'll try to figure out a different option for the gap left from my headers to exhaust too. ApPreciate help.
By RWMIII
bocherks1 wrote:I'll try and clean the spark plugs this week and same with the cylinder holes. MAybe buy some new spark plugs just incase. I'll try to figure out a different option for the gap left from my headers to exhaust too. ApPreciate help.

i believe there is a thread somewhere about your exhaust fitment. just search for it.
By bocherks1
#264873 i was wondering today, when i was reading up on swapping my motor someone told me i need to use the CX map sensor harness plug instead of the GSR harness plug.

Can anyone verify this? Maybe this is causing something to go wrong?
By RWMIII
bocherks1 wrote:i was wondering today, when i was reading up on swapping my motor someone told me i need to use the CX map sensor harness plug instead of the GSR harness plug.

Can anyone verify this? Maybe this is causing something to go wrong?

the plugs dont matter, as long as the map is hooked up.
Last edited by RWMIII on Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
By bocherks1
#264876 just making sure because didn't know if there would make a difference with it running wise, or not.

I'll just keep the gsr map sensor plug dangling.
By RWMIII
bocherks1 wrote:just making sure because didn't know if there would make a difference with it running wise, or not.

I'll just keep the gsr map sensor plug dangling.

did you use the GSR harness since you had a donor car or your CX harness? Are you throwing any codes?
By bocherks1
#264878 using the gsr harness. - no codes thrown.
By bocherks1
#264881 Yeh cleaning out the plugs tomorrow, that exhaust smell creeping into my car is annoying tho. Appeared within the last month. Just starting to become worse.

not burning that much oil, nor is my coolant level gone down.