B16, B18, B20
By CivNation
#263795 Recently trade my civic for a 97 Si, with a JDM B18C, LSD transmission with 70k on it, im just trying to figure out if its the 178 factory hp SiR-G or the 210 factory hp Spec-R, its OBD02, how do I tell the difference? :?
By Greasedmonkey
#263812 intake manifold and the head.

Head should have the P73 casting and the intake manifold should resemble a B16a manifold.
By Greasedmonkey
{ikon}EM1 wrote:
CivNation wrote:Recently trade my civic for a 97 Si

There is no 97 si

he is in Canada....so Yes, there is. its an EX here.
By CivNation
#263828 Thanks for the help! It's a spec-R , Makes a bit more sense why it pulls so hard, ill get a build thread going once I finish de-ricing it
By Greasedmonkey
#263838 No problem, glad we could help.
By Ajax1989
{ikon}EM1 wrote:

There is no 97 si

and yes there was a si in america in 1997

the del sol carried the si thru 96-97...
98 i believe was the only year where we didnt have a
honda badged as a "si"
By Eg6H2D
94_jdm_ferio wrote:
{ikon}EM1 wrote:

There is no 97 si

and yes there was a si in america in 1997

the del sol carried the si thru 96-97...
98 i believe was the only year where we didnt have a
honda badged as a "si"

Good obsevation!!!

:thumb: :thumb:
By CivNation
#264164 Well we've got a real problem now, I have no VTEC, its a p73 ECU but no vtec, very frustrating as im not a wiring genious :thumbdown: :(
By Greasedmonkey
#264210 check codes. make sure the soleniod is plugged in.
By bks84
Greasedmonkey wrote:intake manifold and the head.

Head should have the P73 casting and the intake manifold should resemble a B16a manifold.

The head will not have a P73 casting anywhere on it, it will have PR3 which is the same as a B16. Using this code will not help determine if its an R or not though. If its a ITR the intake manifold will have P73 on the back side of it near #1 cylinder.
By That One Dude
#265857 You're right, it wouldn't say P73 on the head, but if it's a PR3 head, then it's either a P72 (GSR) block with a B16/ITR head, or a full SpecR. The head of a GSR would have a P72 in the casting.

The IM from the ITR will bolt straight up to the B16 head, considering they're the same head casting, so it's really easy to throw an ITR IM on a B16 head on a B18C (GSR) block and call it a SpecR.

The only REAL way to determine if it's a REAL SpecR is by disassembling the engine to inspect the crankshaft, pistons, valves, and cams. The SpecR crank will be heavier than the GSR crank, R pistons are lighter with a higher dome and have a moly coating on the skirts (GSR pistons do not), R valves are lighter on both sides and the intake valve stems are tapered for better flow, R head has open combustion chambers that are a little larger than the GSR combustion chambers which have quench pads to help reduce the risk of detonation and pre-ignition.