B16, B18, B20
By 706josh
#263571 I'm planning on going B-Series soon and I'm trying to decide on what would be my best bet for the money. I can get a B20z for around 950 shipped or a B18b for around 750.

My question is, is it worth the extra 200 for small hp and tq gains. I plan on using an LS tranny if that makes any difference.

If anyone has any input or even suggestions on a different engine I could use instead, let me know. I'm really interested to see what everyone has to say! :thumb:

I don't know if it's possible but I'm looking to spend no more than 2000 on the whole swap.
By jrhdominos
#263574 hey man, noticed youre in Augusta, Im in Thomson about 25 min away....
Also the b20z is def the better buy, although you will have to spend a lil extra to convert the motor to obd1. The extra torque is def noticable on the b20, compared to the b18b. A b16 tranny would also be a good upgrade...but the b18 tranny is okay, especially if you're on the interstate a good bit, which if you live in Augusta, then I know you are, lol.
By Greasedmonkey
#263575 Ive had both the B18b and the B20z. Both are great motors. If you are going to stay NA, get the B20z since it is a bigger motor. For turbo, get the B18b since the wall on the cylinders are a bit thicker. That will help hold up to boost better. They will both have the same head, you will jus need to pick up a LS intake manifold for the B20z or just get a aftermarket one that will fit it.

As for the tranny, you will be left wanting with the LS tranny. My swaps have been with a GSR and a B16a tranny. They make a world of difference in how it all feels while driving. I personally love my B16a tranny, but for some its a bit too short. For that I would say use the GSR.

Either of these swaps with the GSR or B16a tranny will be faster than the typical "FULL" swaps for the B16a, B18c and such. The best upgrade for a B18b or B20z is a shorter tranny.
By jrhdominos
Greasedmonkey wrote:Ive had both the B18b and the B20z. Both are great motors. If you are going to stay NA, get the B20z since it is a bigger motor. For turbo, get the B18b since the wall on the cylinders are a bit thicker. That will help hold up to boost better. They will both have the same head, you will jus need to pick up a LS intake manifold for the B20z or just get a aftermarket one that will fit it.

As for the tranny, you will be left wanting with the LS tranny. My swaps have been with a GSR and a B16a tranny. They make a world of difference in how it all feels while driving. I personally love my B16a tranny, but for some its a bit too short. For that I would say use the GSR.

Either of these swaps with the GSR or B16a tranny will be faster than the typical "FULL" swaps for the B16a, B18c and such. The best upgrade for a B18b or B20z is a shorter tranny.

X2
By 706josh
#263583 Yup. Live right in the middle of Grovetown so I have to be on I-20 to get anywhere. :thumb:

The reason I said an LS tranny was because I'm hoping to keep pretty decent gas mileage but I am not opposed to a different tranny as that's not a big issue. What all is involved in converting the b20 to OBD1? Injectors, alternator and distributor, I assume?
By EJ1_MK
#263610 If you go b20 you will need an intake and fuel injectors from an 94-95 b18 the intake flows better than the b20 and then the dizzy and some other sensors. But you could always run a conversion harness at the ECU side But I would still look into getting an after market intake for the b20 if you go that route.

LS trans would be perfect long gears, but if you plan on doing anything fun a b16 trans or gsr would be your best bet. Really either way your still going to get good gas mileage. Cause its a HONDA!
By nvturbo
#263619 I'm not sure about the GA inspection laws but I would get an OBD2 LS swap and run off a OBD1 P75 ECU. You can use the harness off that particular motor and it will plug up to the car engine bay plugs. This is the easiest and cheaper route. The money you saved, upgrade the clutch AND replace the timing belt, water pump, oil pump seal and rear main seal. To retain AC, mount your Civic AC compressor to a CRV or B16 Del Sol bracket.
By 706josh
#263643 No need to worry about inspections here. Never have to get it inspected. :thumb: I am looking to keep my AC though. 100º+ weather is murder on someone that doesn't do well in the heat. So I need a del sol bracket to mount the compressor? Do I need to use the b20 compressor or the one from my D15?
By {ikon}EM1
#263644 I had a b18 before and now I have a b20z... for me the difference between the two are night and day to me...
By chrono404
jrhdominos wrote:
Greasedmonkey wrote:Ive had both the B18b and the B20z. Both are great motors. If you are going to stay NA, get the B20z since it is a bigger motor. For turbo, get the B18b since the wall on the cylinders are a bit thicker. That will help hold up to boost better. They will both have the same head, you will jus need to pick up a LS intake manifold for the B20z or just get a aftermarket one that will fit it.

X2

x3

If your going N/A and do alot of freeway driving a B20z with a GSR(b18c) Transmission is probally the best route for you. If you plan on boosting I would recommend the B18b with a b18c tranny until you get crazy power then you want the ls tranny.

{ikon}EM1 wrote:I had a b18 before and now I have a b20z... for me the difference between the two are night and day to me...

I totally agree, I have the 99jdm b20b which is the same as the US B20z. I love it, Crazy torque from 2k+.

I have driven friends b18a/cable b16 tranny(shorter then hydro b16 tranny gears) swap wagovan and my JDM b20b/hydro b16 in my HEAVIER delsol was faster. It felt better to drive and always pulled from him.

Its alot more then just a few more torques, You get much much more torque lower in your power band. I Love it. I have beat qutie a few cars and they didn't beleave i had "Only 140" hp. haha. My Faverate one is when I was at the drag races and a d16z6 Delsol lined up agiesn't me thinking he would do good as he just beat a LSvtec/lstranny eg. I left him in the dust with a 15.7 to his 17.8. Afterwords he wouldn't beleave it was just a stock b20 with b16 tranny.
By forcefedEG
#263670 Pretty much everyone on here has hit the nail on the head,

B20z if na. I would want an gsr trans if you can do trans work I'd get a si or gsr trans and do a ls 5th gear swap

If you go boost b18b thicker cylinder walls and all that,

I had a b20 I'm my 4dr teg and then in an ef, later on everybody in The local aera code started buying jdm b20 , the funny thing is every said "ohh it runs like a ls" and those were most of the kids who ended up getting b20's. So with that being said.... b20 is impressive low rpm na motor. Mine liked the 6500 rpm range well :thumb:
By nvturbo
#263675 If you have the extra cash, throw in a set of Crower 403 camshafts. I had that before in my LS swapped EG hatch and it was NASTY.
By 706josh
#263682 Wow. You guys are crazy helpful! :thumb: Looks like I'm going for the b20z with a gsr tranny. Maybe do a 5th gear swap if possible.

If you have the extra cash, throw in a set of Crower 403 camshafts. I had that before in my LS swapped EG hatch and it was NASTY.

That may come later after the actual swap is done. I'm upgrading from a crappy d15b8 so it's already gonna seem like I'm driving a Lamborghini. Haha :woot:
By EJ1_MK
#263702 There is a lot you can do to pull power and still retain drive ability aspects with the b20. Cams, pistons, aftermarket intake manifold.

And you can switch 5th gear out with an ls trans 5th and that would help on the highway with out hurting it in the city and you could still have fun. But I think at like 60 mph in 5th in a gsr trans is right around 3000 rpm.
By 706josh
#263769 So it's looking like I need b20z longblock, (Probably get from jdmtigerjapanese.com) a GSR tranny, axles and all the mounts, linkages, ecu and wiring. Sound about right?