B16, B18, B20
By unclecivic
#262356 I recently scored a Teggy with a B18A1 in it. I managed to get it to start , but it sounds like an Airplane, and will only rev to about 3200 rpm's before starting to sputter as if it had the fuel shut off going. Sort of sounds like someone launching at the track, except its at 3200 rpms instead of 9800, lol.
Any ideas what it might be? got compression in all 4- getting spark- not sure about the injectors tho...... :?
By That One Dude
#262397 Make sure the ignition leads are going to the right places.
By unclecivic
#262437 Thanks for the replies guys.
No CEL. :?
Will D series plug wires work on a B series? I have a set I could test with if so.
Any techniques for diagnosing injectors?
I'd love to get this thing to run right......
By 94EJ2
#262473 there would be a cel if it was a injector

if it idles id say pull 1 plug wire at a time till you find the one that the engine doesnt notice got pulled then you know witch piston to look into check the wire for spark and if it has spark check the plug thats how i diagnose a miss
By sabdagr8
#262729 did u do any wiring on the car? it sound like u might have either a bad map sensor, bad tps, bad injector, injector connectors in the wrong spot or if u did some wiring something in the dizzy wires crossed, but since u dnt have a check engine im gonna bank on a bad map, or stretching a lil something threw ur ecu into limp mode ( not very common but possible)....
By unclecivic
#262754 its in a stock teggy, so its not the wiring ( I don't think )
got in from work mad late the last two days- aint done a thing with it yet. Car sat for a while before I got it- need to do a full tune up on it and try again, I think.
By unclecivic
#262998 ....and it turned out to be the #1 cylinder. No difference in the idle if I remove the plug wire. Header isn't super hot on that tube either. Will pull valve cover next and check the valves I guess......
By unclecivic
#263517 So... tried new plugs n wires, cap n rotor.... still missing on #1.
Took the valve cover off and #1 looks normal, no broken springs, engine doesn't clunk or tick or bang....

Think it might be the Dizzy??
By RWMIII
#263520 I highly doubt its the dizzy if your other 3 cylinders are firing. Are you sure that the #1 injector is firing? Really sounds like the injector. CEL codes arent thrown in all instances. Easy way to test it is to put the tip of a long screwdriver on the injector with car running and your ear on the butt end of screwdriver and see if you can hear it clicking. Unless you have an automotive stethascope, then use that :thumb:
By unclecivic
RWMIII wrote:I highly doubt its the dizzy if your other 3 cylinders are firing. Are you sure that the #1 injector is firing? Really sounds like the injector. CEL codes arent thrown in all instances. Easy way to test it is to put the tip of a long screwdriver on the injector with car running and your ear on the butt end of screwdriver and see if you can hear it clicking. Unless you have an automotive stethascope, then use that :thumb:

Thanks man! will try tomorrow. Used the shade-tree stetho a few times, but didn't know what to listen for on an injector. ( I thought hissing ) but I'll listen for clicking.
'preciate the tip. :hehe:
If I get this running, its going in my hatch.
By RWMIII
#263527 yea, as the injector fires it will make a clicking sound when listened through a scope. Listen to your other ones that are working as a reference for how it sounds, and how fast it is firing off.
By 94EJ2
#263534 ok heres the better question does the cel work sometimes people take the bulbs out to make it seem like there is nothing wrong with the car