B16, B18, B20
By Jr_DSantos
#258870 now a buddy of mine at a scrap yard got this in today and i might pick this up just dont know if its auto or standard :?

is there eanyway to tell just from looking at it?
sorry for the big pics but i figured they would be easyer to see

By chrono404
#258874 Automatic. You can see the solenoids on top, that's a give away its an auto. The Manuals don't have them.
By suspendedHatch
#258877 Yes. Don't forget the manual trans mount. Do you have a clutch and flywheel?
By 94EJ2
#258907 i think his car is a manual to begin with he is just looking at a motor that has a auto attached to it. still worth 300 around here b 18s go for at least 400 for just the motor
By chrono404
94EJ2 wrote:i think his car is a manual to begin with he is just looking at a motor that has a auto attached to it. still worth 300 around here b 18s go for at least 400 for just the motor

x2
Plus you can recoupe some of your cost buy reselling your auto tranny on craigslist. :thumb:
By OmarG
#259113 First thing I would look for is the clutch slave cylinder on the front of the tranny near where it meets the motor. I'll look for a picture for you. Definitely pick it up for $300! Like they said, the motor alone is worth 400-500 in good condition. Once you slap on a Si or a GSR transmission, it'll haul ass. A buddy of mine has an LS in his coupe with a LSD GSR tranny. It's pretty quick on it's feet!

*EDIT* That's also the latest gen LS motor too. At least you know it's from a newer LS, and not some late 80's teggy from some shady dude on CL. And it's auto too, and stock! Chances are some old lady bought an automatic to drive to and from church on Sundays. Find a cheap Si/GSR transmission, the tranny mount, and call it a day. Pretty much everything to get the car on the road is there. Oh, and axles, but those are pretty cheap.
By asianrob
#259122 i wouldnt waste money on any Auto LS motors. the luck ive ran into with them are the head bolt threads giving out.

i dont know how true that is on all AUTO ls's but the good 5 or 6 short blocks that i got from auto cars were like that.