B16, B18, B20
By dlam804
#257322 ok so my b16 has a blown head gasket :(. Its about the same price to fix it and to finish my poorman so im finishing it. my question is should i just go with gsr internals with itr pistons or b16 pistons. Or the stroker combo the ls crank, rods with itr pistons. I would like it boost it in the future so i want the best setup possible. Also I would like to make it reliable so i think the stroker combo is the not best combo.

gsr internal with itr pistons
gsr internal with b16 pistons
ls crank and ls rods with itr pistons
ls crank and rods with ??? pistons

if yah have any other options please tell im all ears and i want the best setup for power also reliable to.

if this helps i have b16 head with itr internals with b17 cams
gsr water pump, oil pump, timing belt
also everything is oem :)
By Fada Blayne
#257384 I think u should go with the cheap stroker setup because where as u may not be able to rev as high as u would with a gsr crank you"ll make up for with more low end torque.

LS rods & Crank with the ITR pistons :thumb:
By Greasedmonkey
#257386 All of those combos will be great for ALL motor, but not for turbo. They will all yield high compression rations.

A little bit more info is needed. Like what Block are you using? You didnt mention it anywhere, so I guessed a GSR.
By Fada Blayne
#257416 you also didnt specify ur power goals, that would help alot.

Greasedmonkey he could always go low boost with the setup i suggested :P
By forcefedEG
#257514 The old poormans I had was a bone stock 80k gsr bottom end from a 95 with a ported b16 head Arp studs, and gsr cams and b16 intake manifold I had a dc 421 type r header and gsr gears it ripped Shit on the street and was more than enough to make me and more and Likely Ur average person happy I walked semi built lsv's and b20v's all day. So I'd say stock gsr bottom or if you had to itr pistons and go with it you'll be happy I can vouch first hand. I've had one :thumb:
By Greasedmonkey
Fada Blayne wrote:you also didnt specify ur power goals, that would help alot.

Your suggestion was and 11:1 motor. Not that great for even low boost.
By Greasedmonkey
#257747 Its not really a Poormans R with out the ITR pistons.

A gsr with a b16a head is just that, which at the same time lowers the CR. You will get less that 10:1 with that set up.
By poorman type-r
#257769 ^^ agreed. Also if you want it to be reliable just get ITR pistons and call it good. I was going to stroke my poorman setup but decided not too and while I had the motor running it ran good and pulled nice. Good luck :thumb:
By That One Dude
#257770 The 11:1 setup would be great for a 6-7psi JRSC kit, but not much more...

It would be quick NA in a Civic, but wouldn't be much faster than a GSR if it was in an Integra.

Personally, I'd stick with the GSR crank and rods with ITR pistons and B16 head with ITR or Crower NA stage 2 cams which are close to, but slightly better than ITR cams.
By Greasedmonkey
#257791 OR you could nab a set of Toda Spec B cams for it... *hint-hint*
By poorman type-r
#257807 Haha. You still have those cams? If nobody picks them up I will try and get them in August. Planning on building another B-series.
By CaptainSlow
#257849 I would like to know your goals in the future... You say that you are interested in putting a turbo on it , but how much power are you willing to achieve in the future ???
By dlam804
#258036 Hey sorry for the late reply laptop broke :(
As for the power goal I'm trying to seek 200-230 hp... not really trying to go fast.
Yes I'm using a gsr block. Really thinking about going with the itr pistons since its only a poorman with itr pistons n cams.

Thanks for all the info please keep it coming!!!
By Fada Blayne
Greasedmonkey wrote:
Fada Blayne wrote:you also didnt specify ur power goals, that would help alot.

Your suggestion was and 11:1 motor. Not that great for even low boost.

I know ppl that run low boost(7pounds) on 12.5:1cp motors as there daily drivers :wink:
By CaptainSlow
#258241 You power goal is not big at all....ITR pistons will (as spoken above) an approx. 10:1 CR and will be alright with even a little bigger turbo and boost pressure...And also you can play with the head gasket for the Compression Ratio....As for the cams I believe that with the Type-R they are capable and work well on turbo B'series that achieve 500+ , from what I have seen...They have duration and are not to "aggressive"...