B16, B18, B20
By 706josh
#256953 Yeah, I was thinking that the CRV is a bit heavier than our civics and also the 4WD option has to eat into gas mileage so I figured it would be better than the CRV specs.
By chrono404
#256956 my 99spec jdm b20b with em1(99-00si) b16 tranny gets 19-20mpg. Its in a 2500lb 95 delSol Si. Then agian its only sees "sprited" driving as its my toy car. It goes to track days, does mountain runs, next to none freeway driving.
By forcefedEG
#256965 I my b20 in my four door integra with ls gears it got around 30 on the highway and some around town driving if I kept my foot outa it

I also had the same b20 in an ef with a cable ls trans and I never really checked the mileage in it but I don't think it was quite as good but I also ran it much harder

And agin I had the same b20 in my 94 hatch before I boosted it, it was mated with a 2000 si trans it tached 3000 running barely 55 so the mileage sucked and I only took it out to play around and rip on it.

Keep I. Mind I ran a ls ecu with the engine so it may not have been fueled 100% right but was fairly close, I really can say I love.these motors and there fairly dependable I would recommend swapping one :thumb:
By forcefedEG
#256983 Well I'm not going to bs you, it would be cheaper to do a z6 swap, but if you have a b8 your cars a cx then right? If you do he z6 you'll have to add the o2 sensor heater wires (3) wires for that all together and 2 wires for the vtec oil pressure switch and solenoid.

If you do the b20 you'll just have to do the o2 wiring,

The b20 will cost more mainly due to finding a trans, shift linkage and axles and half shaft, the mounts will fit the same if you have a dohc 2bolt block mount, honestly its what you can afford, but I'd save and go dohc you won't regret it, its a shame your so far away I have a b20 bottom end I was thinking about selling lol
By chrono404
forcefedEG wrote:Well I'm not going to bs you, it would be cheaper to do a z6 swap, but if you have a b8 your cars a cx then right? If you do he z6 you'll have to add the o2 sensor heater wires (3) wires for that all together and 2 wires for the vtec oil pressure switch and solenoid.

If you do the b20 you'll just have to do the o2 wiring,

The b20 will cost more mainly due to finding a trans, shift linkage and axles and half shaft, the mounts will fit the same if you have a dohc 2bolt block mount, honestly its what you can afford, but I'd save and go dohc you won't regret it, its a shame your so far away I have a b20 bottom end I was thinking about selling lol

x2

I had a D16z6 in my sol before I swapped in my B20 and it was a night and day difference. The Torque is amazing. Its worth the extra money IMO. I cant put into words the difference of power. It made my two seater "sports car" have "sports car" performance.

I have a D16z6 in my Daily Driver Sedan and its peppy enough for Daily Driving duty. However if you want a fast car it will leave you wanting more. If you want is a decently peppy daily driver with good fuel economy, go this route. If you want a faster performance car then go for a B18b or b20b, with a b16 or b18c(gsr) Transmission, if you get a b18b(ls) tranny you will get decent fuel economy however have a torgery cruiser.
By familyEGuy23
#256996 good thread here :thumb: i was also considering these two options as well. Leaning more towards the sohc but that's just me :thumb:
By mooze
#256998 just do itttttttt
By Fada Blayne
#257005 Whats ur long term goal with the car?
By {ikon}EM1
#257024 I also have the 99spec jdm b20b with a 98 spec gsr vtec head and tranny and it gets ok gas mileage... if ur not driving around like a maniac all the time "paping v tak !!!" Then u will be fine...

Its all about ur tranny and personal preference... ls trannys will give u a better mpg due to the longer non aggressive ratios... the shorter close ratios trannys like the b16a2 si and 98+ gsr trannys are ideally better for racing but also do good for city driving...

However if u use the highway alot then kiss ur mpg good bye with a close ratio tranny... example my car is doing 80 mph @ 4000 rpm on the highway when normal cars will be doing 2800 - 3100 rpm...
By forcefedEG
#257031 A b20 with si gears is a torque monster, I loved mine with that set up, you could always put a ls 5th gear in a si trans and basicly have the best of both worlds, if that's not up your alley, a gsr trans is a good happy medium as far as gearing, but either way you'd be happy with a b20 :thumb:
By 706josh
#257033 Good info here. This is my daily driver and I want something that's pretty quick too. I'm thinking I might just hunt down a z6 for now and then save up for the b20 and probably an ls tranny and make sure it's done up right. Thanks for the info, everyone! :thumb: :D