B16, B18, B20
By hmobeg
#255859 i have a ful b16 jdm swap and there is i fuel staition close to me that sells 110 octane will it hurt my motor???
By OleFolk
#255861 It might not be needed, but as far as i know your engine will be okay unless the fuel leaded
By hmobeg
#255863 i never use leaded gas and alway the highst octane they has
By OleFolk
#255866 As long as it is not leaded fuel you should be okay
But 110 octane might not be needed
Personally I prefer 91 or 92
By hmobeg
#255868 so is there really no gain in useing higher otane
:?
By chrono404
hmobeg wrote:so is there really no gain in useing higher otane
:?

Octane is restience to detanation. If you can get by with lower octane fuel then do it. Sometimes higher octane fuel isn't as good for your engine as it takes longer to burn so it will actually hurt power.

Unless your super high comp, or on high boost then you wont need 110 octane.

I always used 91-92 octane when I had my b16.
By forcefedEG
#255890 ^^ he hit the nail on the head, with our engines being so efficiently designed we don't.have much need for.high octane, you have to have high boost or.crazy high compression, and aluminum dissapates heat so well as opposed to old cast iron v8's were they relied more on a high octane fuel. 110 was like your norm back in the 60's and 70's I've heard old timers even talk of getting 114 from the pump but anyway , our engines were made to run the gas we get from the pump now and those engines were made more for.the higher octane of.the day, there's not a lot of call for it.now days unless you have a heavy modded high compression application

Hope this is some help :thumb:
By That One Dude
forcefedEG wrote:^^ he hit the nail on the head, with our engines being so efficiently designed we don't.have much need for.high octane, you have to have high boost or.crazy high compression, and aluminum dissapates heat so well as opposed to old cast iron v8's were they relied more on a high octane fuel. 110 was like your norm back in the 60's and 70's I've heard old timers even talk of getting 114 from the pump but anyway , our engines were made to run the gas we get from the pump now and those engines were made more for.the higher octane of.the day, there's not a lot of call for it.now days unless you have a heavy modded high compression application

Hope this is some help :thumb:

The old timers talked about 110 and 114 octane leaded gas, which was a completely different animal to the unleaded fuels we use today. Long story short, the old timers had engines that were no where near as efficient as ours, had tolerances that were way loose compared to ours, and they did some seriously crazy shit with those giant chunks of iron. I work with a guy who has a piston on his toolbox from his '68 Dodge Dart that he claims yeilded a 15:1 compression ratio. THAT would require 110+ octane. He says he used to use the aviation fuel called "Purple People Eater" that was rated at 110/130 octane (rich mix/lean mix).

For the B16A, you won't need anything more than 93octane if it's stock. Even if you're running upwards of 11.5-12:1 CR, 93 "should" be ok depending on the tune and tuner.[/b]
By forcefedEG
#255984 Yea, the leaded fuel of.the day was way different from what we have now, my dad and I built a big block Chevy for in a 67 Camaro, it was about 15:1 compression it was a 468 cid, We also have a 70 nova that has a 14:1 383cid, we ran 114 octane in both. Its Sunnoco cam 2 its a purple color as well and leaded, ive actually spilt a drop or 2 on my hands before pouring it into a fuel cell, it turns ice cold almost instantly, nothing like what comes from the pump now days,

But anyway the main thing is most hondas don't require more than 93 octane pump gas
By JUICE
#256001 these guys pretty much covered it.. i run 93 in my boosted LS.

also wanna make sure you run good gas. don't fill up at some rinky-dink station..
By Eg6H2D
JUICE wrote:these guys pretty much covered it.. i run 93 in my boosted LS.

also wanna make sure you run good gas. don't fill up at some rinky-dink station..

:woot:

SHELL Nitorgen enriched fuel!!!! FTMFW!!!!
Or Sunoco!!
:thumb: :thumb:
By hmobeg
#256216 ok thanks now a stupid question whats the diff between ethanol and straight gas without it
By suspendedHatch
#256384 Ethanol is an additive just like any other, and for the same reasons as any other. Some people don't like it because it slightly reduces fuel economy.

Running pure ethanol is something different. But that's what wiki is for.