B16, B18, B20
By foxgearshift
#254245 i have been searching for this alot i found out its wasting of money then i thought of going to Compression Calculator at http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/comp ... mpcalc.php and see what it has to say about it

so here the thing
stock USDM b16a compression: 10.2:1
stock USDM b16a with 2 layer head gasket comp: 10.5:1

stock USDM b16a head with B16B block with 3 layer gasket: 10.8:1
stock USDM b16a head with B16B block with 2 layer gasket: 11.1:1

i have calculated the amount of money for rebuilding the existing b16a block was about 1250$ and i found a fresh rebuilt B16B block (built by spoon japan) for the same amount waiting for the reply from my freind to know what comp and bore it has.

now if its complete stock should i go with it and get the 2 layer gasket or it wont be safe to run this application or better stick with the b16a block
By foxgearshift
foxgearshift wrote:i have been searching for this alot i found out its wasting of money then i thought of going to Compression Calculator at http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/comp ... mpcalc.php and see what it has to say about it

so here the thing
stock USDM b16a compression: 10.2:1
stock USDM b16a with 2 layer head gasket comp: 10.5:1

stock USDM b16a head with B16B block with 3 layer gasket: 10.8:1
stock USDM b16a head with B16B block with 2 layer gasket: 11.1:1

i have calculated the amount of money for rebuilding the existing b16a block was about 1250$ and i found a fresh rebuilt B16B block (built by spoon japan) for the same amount waiting for the reply from my freind to know what comp and bore it has.

now if its complete stock should i go with it and get the 2 layer gasket or it wont be safe to run this application or better stick with the b16a block

am not sure if my comp calculation is right but here another web site that i tryed and the same thing got 11.0:1
http://www.zealautowerks.com/bseries.html
By That One Dude
#254281 11:1 isn't really all that high. To put the B16A head on the B16B block isn't a big deal either. The heads from both engines have the same combustion chamber size cinsidering they're both PR3 heads. Only major differences I can find are that the B16B has a taller deck height and longer rods than the B16A, as well as the higher domed pistons for the higher compression. That's stock though. Get the dome volume from your buddy and report back with the findings. Worse comes to worst, you'll wind up needing to get it tuned.

If it's the same price to buy the Spoon B16B block as it is to rebuild your B16A block, go for the Spoon block.
By blk92hb
#254333 ok i would get the b16b block because it would be better than the b16a block due to the higher revs it can get. it would also be better for autox.
the b16b block is taller and have longer rods then the b16a.

the pr3 heads are the same head for the ctr, itr, and the b16a. the only differents is the factory porting done on the itr, and ctr. so the compression should be the same as a factory b16b with a b16a head, but it my not flow as good as the factory ctr head but you can get it ported.

imo i would get the block because if it is from spoon it would be balanced and could get around 10k rpm but i WOULDN'T push it that far
By foxgearshift
#254424 thanks for the info guys. the block is complete stock but sure built by spoon so i was thinking of what blk92hb said i will port and polish the head n look for ctr cams if i can get them but if i didnt find them can i go a littile bit crazy and use 1 layer gasket along with porting and polishing the head? i want the the extra comp and i am going to use arp head stud and s300 for it
By That One Dude
#254430 I wouldn't use a 1 layer head gasket, personally. I don't know of any of my buddies who use a 1 layer, but it wouldn't sit well with me knowing how much money I had just put into the engine and head.
By foxgearshift
That One Dude wrote:I wouldn't use a 1 layer head gasket, personally. I don't know of any of my buddies who use a 1 layer, but it wouldn't sit well with me knowing how much money I had just put into the engine and head.

yeh ur right wont risk it, any thank you very much guys you really helped alot will posr pic's after its done we might start with it by the end of jun