B16, B18, B20
By vtrp2008
#253196 i spun a bearing in my b18a block and messed up the crank...i bought a new b18a engine head and block complete for 150...i was gonna swap out just the block and put it back to lsv but the block isnt tapped. im not to sure how to tap it? can any1 give me some help? ill take pics this week as i do it. im also changing the head gasket and pistion rings since the motor will be out..if any1 has few pointers or tips as well i appreciate it to .. thanks every1
By chrono404
JUICE wrote:always good to read through this.. http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=2027

stock LS blocks aren't too fond of being revved to the moon...

x2

I was actually just planning on posting a link to that.

If you take a bone stock b18a bottom end to vtec revs, you WILL ruin this bottom end and be on the hunt agian for a new block in 6-9months.

A Pro tip for finding the next motor would be a 96+ Bottom end(96+b18b, all b20b/z) as they have the VTEC oil pump and all you need is arp rod bolts, head bolts, 22T gsr waterpump and timing belt.
By forcefedEG
#253250 To answer your question tapping of the block is done with an 1/8th inch pipe tap its a special pipe thread, personally I'd recommend a sandwich plate,

the 22t water pump and gsr belt is needed , also I'd recommend arp head studs

rod bolts are also good, but for the rod bolts you'd have to resize and balance the rods

For the oil pump your a1 will work fine , its a simple thing to make the pump a "vtec" pump..... simply pull the oil pan off, pull the oil pump pickup tube off, this will expose a large Allen head should be gold in color and it.holds the oil pump spring in, carefully loosen this Allen head (be careful not to round it some of them can be kinda tight) on the Allen plug there is a small flat washer that almost looks like it would be a gasket ( its actually a spacer) for the plug to seal, discard this and re-assemble (a very small dab of gasket sealent will not hurt to put on the threads of the plug), that's he only difference between all the pumps the late model pumps 96+ spec do not have this small spacer there nor do any previous years vtec pumps....

Hope this helps :thumb: