B16, B18, B20
By B20vtec-turbo
#252180 Here's the deal.

I took my car to get a tune and while it was getting tuned it went dead and wouldn't start back. It's not even turning over! The tuner instantly said,"STARTER" get a new one and come back!.....I came home and bought a brand new starter and it still won't do anything.

Dash lights all on, fuel pumps are priming...Relays and fuses are good... I can even start the engine with a skrew driver...What the hell??

Someone please help shed some light on this for me....
By 94EJ2
#252190 ignition switch or the clutch interlock switch

mine was doing the same thing the new ignition switch is like 300 bucks if you want to test the starter to see if it starts make sure it is in neutral set your park brake, turn the ignition to on position and take a piece of wire and put it against the starter solenoids connection and touch it to the power wire nut on the starter
Last edited by 94EJ2 on Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
By B20vtec-turbo
94EJ2 wrote:ignition switch
mine was doing the same thing the new ignition switch is like 300 bucks if you want to test the starter to see if it starts make sure it is in neutral set your park brake, turn the ignition to on position and take a screw driver and put it against the starter solinoids connection and touch it to the power wire nut on the starter to baisically jump the starter and see if it starts then and i read somewhere the starter has a relay that goes bad

Yeah, I read something online saying to turn the headlights on and try to start the car, if the lights dim, the ignition switch is fine, if not, it's bad...I'm on ebay pricing them right now....this sucks!
By Eg6H2D
By B20vtec-turbo
#252676 Alright....So I was wrong again. The car still won't start!

Starter is good!
Fuses are good!
Ignition is good!
Starter interlock/clutch safety switch is good!

This all happened during my tuning session. I was running fine the whole time, then the tuner turned the engine off and tried to restart it with no luck. EVERYTHING work's, dashlights and fuel pump's are working like normal but nothing happens when you turn the key... I'm trying to stay away from the idea that it's the wiring in the harness because it's been working fine all this time and then it just stopped.

Anyone have a suggestion?
By 94EJ2
#252687 There is a clutch interlock relay at the side of the driver's foot well.
This relay will make contact when the clutch pedal is pushed AND the
ignition is in the start position. You can test this fairly easily:
Measure the voltage between ground and fuse # 18. Most automotive fuses
has recessed metal tabs on the front for easy access with voltmeter
probes. If the interlock system is working, you should see about 12V at
the fuse when you press the clutch and turn the ignition to start.
By B20vtec-turbo
#252700 OK....I REALLY figured it out this time. It was that little rubber piece that pushes in the clutch interlock....it fell out...

ALL GOOD NOW!
By 94EJ2
#252726 i just have my clutch interlock bypassed i dont ever leave my car in gear so it dont matter
By B20vtec-turbo
#252811 Yeah, neither do I....But as soon as I bypass it, someone will get in the car and start it in gear with me under it or something....lol
By Eg6H2D
B20vtec-turbo wrote:OK....I REALLY figured it out this time. It was that little rubber piece that pushes in the clutch interlock....it fell out...

ALL GOOD NOW!

The littlest things man. HONDAS!! lol
By B20vtec-turbo
#252897 I know! I was already looking up my engine harness diagram again! I've already be through it 10 times, I WAS NOT looking forward to it again! Man, I slept like a baby lastnite knowing I figured it out,lol.