B16, B18, B20
By 92dxeg
#251161 ok guys i have an idea tell me what u think
ok i would like to build i 85 mm gsr with an ls crank and rods with arp rod bolts and high comp pistons. should i do that or a b20 since it is all ready a 2.0 liter but wont have sleeves the gsr will
By forcefedEG
#251300 B20 sleeves are supposedly weak, I personally have never seen one fail for cracking a sleeve, but if you have a gsr block use it, I wouldn't go out if my way for a b20 and if you sleeve the gsr block it will have better sleeves in it and be more stout..... just my .02
By Fada Blayne
#251383 Were u planning on boring that gsr block or sleeving it?
By foxgearshift
forcefedEG wrote:B20 sleeves are supposedly weak, I personally have never seen one fail for cracking a sleeve, but if you have a gsr block use it, I wouldn't go out if my way for a b20 and if you sleeve the gsr block it will have better sleeves in it and be more stout..... just my .02

X2
By forcefedEG
Fada Blayne wrote:Were u planning on boring that gsr block or sleeving it?

It would have to be sleeved if he's going to go 84 or 85 mm. A gsr has a stock 81 mm bore there would be no sleeve left if he tried to overbore that much :thumbdown:

For a side note though.... I have heard of people going .040 over on a stock bore but when it comes to stock sleeves less is more, the less you can take to clean up the bore the better off.you are, the extra displacement you get from overbore won't amount to a hill of beans imo I'd rather have as much sleeve as I could get :thumb:
By Fada Blayne
#251461 i knew that, but i wanted to see if he did.
By 92dxeg
#251594 well as of right now i have a poormans type r 81.5 mm 11.7.1 i am able o get another gsr that has no pistons or crank in it so i was going to get an ls crank and rods and sleeve it to 85mm and have 12,5,1 cp that is what i was thinking
By Eg6H2D
92dxeg wrote:well as of right now i have a poormans type r 81.5 mm 11.7.1 i am able o get another gsr that has no pistons or crank in it so i was going to get an ls crank and rods and sleeve it to 85mm and have 12,5,1 cp that is what i was thinking

Orrrrrrrrrrrr you can have b20 84.5mm bore 12.5:1 compression and be safer.. =] with the proper cams and port work you can see upwards of 235whp+ . now with an awesome tuner..
By forcefedEG
92dxeg wrote:well as of right now i have a poormans type r 81.5 mm 11.7.1 i am able o get another gsr that has no pistons or crank in it so i was going to get an ls crank and rods and sleeve it to 85mm and have 12,5,1 cp that is what i was thinking

That sounds like a stout build as opposed to a b20 vtec. I've had a lsv a b20v and a poormamans r and I still liked the poormans best but I was considering doing something like what your talking about, personally I would prefer the gsr block..... and putting be ls internals in it and sleeving it would be the best route imo
By 92dxeg
#251624 thats what iam thinking i love my poormans type r that i have now i just want some more tq and see what kind of power i can put down
By forcefedEG
#251634 If you use the ls crank and rods and go with that bore it really would be like a b20v but you will have the vtec contained in the block wich is a plus. And the gsr block has a girdle wich is good.too. :thumb: ls cranks are not hard to come by at all and any forged rod would do good and if you sleeve to an 84 mm bore you could use "off the shelf" b20 pistons as well
By 92dxeg
#251674 do u need forge pistons? what power u think this willl produce
By forcefedEG
#251681 Forged would probably be best, the rs machine pistons don't look bad and there not too expensive. Also check out fjdistributors.com they have a lot of good kits on there too. :thumb:

With the 12 to one compression I'd say 220+ maybe closer to 250 wheel Hp. Maybe more depending on What you go with up top and if you get itb's or anything like that .... that's my best educated guess on power numbers
By beerys95lx
#251685 ok well just remember that the ls crank isn't sapost to spin as high as a gsr crank and the rods arn't ether just my 2 cents
By Fada Blayne
#251692 I'm doing a similar setup and I don't plan on revving past 8200rpm lol, I need it to last a while :lol: