B16, B18, B20
By OmarG
#251091 PLEASE BEAR WITH ME! I'm sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be as thorough as possible.

Where to begin? I have a 2001 JDM B18C. I have an ebay chipped ecu with a basemap, 9k redline, and 5000 rpm vtec crossover, and an OBD1 B18B dizzy. (I was running the Type R dizzy with a conversion harness/pig tail but the cylinder position sensor went out on it, so i just took a spare B18B dizzy I had to work and milled the bottom two mounting tabs off. Works like a charm.) Also, these problems were occurring while still using the stock dizzy.

After driving the car for about 30 minutes, it will start doing this weird stalling thing when taking off from stops. I'll let off the clutch, and at about 2000k the motor will lose all power. You know how when you have the car in gear, and you just let off the gas, how the motor just winds down? It's pretty much what it sound like. I'll spell it out for you, bear with me here.

Start accelerating: vrooooooooooo- *shit starts fucking up at about 2k rpms while still pressing the gas* broooooooooooooooooooom *Until the car stalls out, or I clutch in and pump the gas pedal like crazy, rev the motor up, and drop the clutch*

If I just keep my foot down the entire time it's acting up, it will eventually pass (most of the time) after about three or four seconds. When it finally catches, It'll throw me back into my seat and haul ass. I've also noticed that is seems to miss a little bit in the high RPMs in third and fourth gear around 7.5k. It sounds kind of burblely, like a really fast bub-bub-bub noise. It's barely noticeable, but it's there. Occasionally, when shifting into fourth right below the vtec crossover, it will sound COMPLETELY different when it mashes VTEC normally. 1st-3rd gear are usually really high pitched, and fourth is usually, but sometimes it sounds kind of muffled. WTF? Everyone I know says my car runs too rich, because when I gun it, I throw out black smoke, not ALOT, but enough to notice.

I looked at the plugs, they had a lot of nasty brown crusty shit on them, so I cleaned them off (I bought new NGK's but they gave me ones for a LS, and they would have to special order B18c5 ones.) The wires look okay. They don't show signs of arching. I originally ran the swap with a P28, and it ran like a CHAMP, surprisingly enough. Idled great, ran fine, the only downside was I couldn't rev very high. My friend SWEARS that it's my egay chipped ECU that's causing the problems, because they used cheap components to chip it, so when it heats up, it causes problems. I have my doubts about this theory, since it ran great for the last four months, and I took the cover off to give it more air. I've touched the components to see if it was hot (In traffic, while my car was acting up) and the resistor's and chips feel pretty cool. What gives?

It's annoying and stupid dangerous, especially in Austin traffic, where people like to ride your ass. Someone HELP!
By mooze
#251140 i had this issue with a icm going bad
By That One Dude
#251397 I second the ICM or coil.

But please please please get an ECU with a viable chip and tuning program. A Type R engine is too valuable to fuck it up with a shitty computer. You didn't cheap out on the engine, don't cheap out on the ECU.
By mooze
#251492 x2 please get a tune asap
By Eg6H2D
That One Dude wrote:I second the ICM or coil.

But please please please get an ECU with a viable chip and tuning program. A Type R engine is too valuable to fuck it up with a shitty computer. You didn't cheap out on the engine, don't cheap out on the ECU.

x75

p73 base map at the least!!!!

:thumb:
By surinamkid
#256402 i know his post is old but had a similar problem on my brothers 00 vp it turned out the be the cam sensor in the dizzy that was at fault.
By OmarG
#257074 It's funny, but I haven't had the problem in about a month.

It drives fine, but the other day when I stopped at a LONG light for about three minutes it would chill at about 1100rpms, the idle will fluctuate maybe 100rpms, the tach needle barely quivered. but it sounded a bit rough, and you could feel the car vibrating and the dash shake a little. Its not as bad as I make it sound, I swear.

After a few seconds it idled down to about 1000 rpms and it would sound great, it would purr and the dash rattle will be gone. Then it just died. like it gave up idling. It started back up fine... Fired up on the first turn, never missed a beat. I drove it home, let it sit there for a bit, and it idled fine, then all of a sudden the idle kicked up to 2500rpms for about 5 seconds and then dropped back to 1k, like nothing at all had happened. I turned it off right after that. (It was midnight, in a nice neighborhood and my car is stupid loud.)

What gives? I was having issues with the stock Type-R Dizzy, then I swapped to my modified LS dizzy, and the CEL for my CYP went away, but I still have these issues. What are the chances that my buddy's dizzy has the same screwed up ICM as my old one? He had it on his LS swapped coupe before he blew up his bottom end. It ran fine to my knowledge.
By OmarG
#257075 My ecu is chipped with a JDM P73 basemap with a 5000rpm vtec crossover and a 8200 fuel cutoff. (My tach shows it revving to just under 9000k though)
By lsvbeghatch
#257540 neutral safety switch malfunction
By OmarG
#258049 New development. Everytime I hit VTEC now, it misses like crazy. It's ONLY when I mash VTEC though. And most of the time its in third gear and up. USUALLY, it's fine 1st-2nd gear.

It sounds like: Vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr (VTEC) VRRRDUDUDUDUDDDDDDUUDUDDUDVRR

I just unplugged the VTEC solenoid, because I was tired of it fucking up. WTF?
By OmarG
#259034 I swapped out ECU's today. Still had the problem. I have a new dizzy I need to try out tomorrow.

Could it be fuel related? Clogged filter, dirty injectors?
By OmarG
#259108 I put in a new filter, the old one had what looked like tea in it... and swapped out injectors for ones I pulled off of an LS. It made the burbling at high RPMs go away. SWEET!
By poorman type-r
#259987 What codes are you getting? Your check engine light has to be on over something like this i would hope.
By OmarG
#260244 No CEL's were thrown. The problem was resolved. It was a nasty fuel filter and clogged injectors. Runs perfect now. Thanks for the help though. :thumb: