B16, B18, B20
By {ikon}EM1
#244305 B18b1 block and b18c1 head.. everytime I drive it smells like I have exhaust leaking into the cockpit... I have headers to a flex pipe to the muffler...

Any sugjustions bsides not having a cat??? Could it be something else opposed to the pipes???

Living in fl doesnt make it better cus we don't have emissions tests here so...
By teal_dx
#244324 the flex pipe is pretty ghetto. Do you have the charcoal canister in your engine bay? Removing that can cause odors. As well as a vented catch can or vented valve cover releasing crank case fumes.

In that list above, it goes from most likely to least likely.
By {ikon}EM1
#244353 Charcoal canister conected to the crude control??? If so then I took it out...
post a pic of one for the el chassis please...
By poorman type-r
#244355 That, or you have shitty weather stripping in the back and exhaust is leaking through. That's what happened with my friend.
By dbrooks
#244440 i remember when i ran a flex pipe after having my original cat stolen, that it smelled like exhaust a little bit. it was overwhelming though. it did go away when i replaced the flex pipe with a cat though
By {ikon}EM1
#244575 Has anyone on here used a "high flow cat" from like magnaflow....???

I think that might solve the problem...
By Greasedmonkey
#244609 I havent used one, but might be getting their bolt in one soon.
By kapow
dbrooks wrote:i remember when i ran a flex pipe after having my original cat stolen, that it smelled like exhaust a little bit. it was overwhelming though. it did go away when i replaced the flex pipe with a cat though

people actually go underneath your car at night and steal a catalytic converter?
By teal_dx
{ikon}EM1 wrote:Has anyone on here used a "high flow cat" from like magnaflow....???

you get what you pay for... Magnaflow is a good brand. Stay away from ebay high flow cats though as they are usually a piece of hollow pipe.
I think a cat and a full exhaust instead of the flex pipe should cure this problem.
By LaosToaster
{ikon}EM1 wrote:Has anyone on here used a "high flow cat" from like magnaflow....???

i have one. i have mine hooked up in a way that i wouldnt need to weld.

like this, no weird smell, and it drips water out the exhaust at start up. dont forget ur donut gasket :thumb:

By Eg6H2D
#245934 oooohhh that's sexy!!!! which magna flow part number did you get?

Need info. looks very good not some muffler shop hack up! i love all bolted on parts!!!
By LaosToaster
#245953 lol i forgot the part number, its pretty much whatever autozone or advance auto parts sells. there might be two to choose from, i took the cheaper one lol :thumb:

but i did need to go to the muffler shop to get the flanges and the donut gasket, and the hardware, and for the two short pipes that slips on the converter, they also had to flare the ends of the pipe so it can seal again the donut gasket. its complicated lol