B16, B18, B20
By chnzgoofball
#228229 theyre pretty quick i was gonna do it but decided to stay smog legal but i noticed from friends that you have to do it right or it wont be that reliable
By 92hatchie
#228232 im planning on using my gsr block with a jdm b16 head. what else should i use? itr pistons? skunk2 manifold?
By chnzgoofball
#228235 theyre are different ways of doing it but most ppl leave it stock build that i know off so i cant help you with what internals to get

1: ls-vtec
but this way u need to get the vtec oil feed line kit not to sure where, but u get the low end torque from the ls and the hi rev from the vtec head and i heard rumors that u had to change something internally in the ls bottom block

2: gsr bottom block and b16 head
and they just put the skunk 2 intake mani on and you dont have to run the oil feed kit for vtec since its there already

there are more ways but i BELIEVE these are the more common ways
By 92hatchie
#228237 yea. i think imma just use gsr bottom n b16 head wit da skunk2 manifold.. later im plannin to turbo it
By 92SiPMR
#285764 They're quick. I have one in my hatch now. I'm using a b16a2 head and intake on a Gsr bottom end. 12.5:1 compression pistons. No problems so far other than a lil spark knock. It needs to be tuned tho
But by far my fav motor so far
By poorman type-r
#285771 They are good motors. They are the slowest when compared to an actual B18C1, LSV and B20V but they still pull nice. Good luck.
By matt is (eg6)
#285782 I dont know who told you it wasnt reliable... and as for the guy posting stuff about ls vtec what the hell does that have to do with a poormans type r... ls-vtec doesnt = poormans r

I smash gsr's, b16's usdm and jdm, lsv and i run side by side with a k swapped ek on k pro... here is my build its good for low 13s on motor 12s on bottle..

Engine: B18C1 block, ported and polished B16A2 head with B16A2 intake
ITR pistons, 00 ITR cams, ITR crank polished and balanced, gsr rods, OEM B18C1 head gasket, RMF narrow B header, injen short ram, ARP head studs and rod bolts, 5zigen catback, tuned on chrome..

tranny: B16B (CTR) with carbon syncros and stage 3 clutch

as for skunk2 intake mani you could just get OEM type R they are basically the same so which ever one you find would work but you gotta watch out for fake skunk2 manifolds the counterfeit them..
Last edited by matt is (eg6) on Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By matt is (eg6)
92SiPMR wrote:They're quick. I have one in my hatch now. I'm using a b16a2 head and intake on a Gsr bottom end. 12.5:1 compression pistons. No problems so far other than a lil spark knock. It needs to be tuned tho

My setup used to have CTR pistons but comp was 12:7 so i had to run 110 octain so i swapped in the ITR pistons because its my daily i run 91 now 12:5:1 is border line for 91... you might want to get that taken care of before you blow a hole in the piston. you dont want to drive around with your car detonating you could cause major damage you might be able to get it to stop with a tune but you might have to run higher octane.. 12:5:1 should be fine on 91 idk why your spark knocking..
By dbrooks
#285823 Moved to the appropriate section :thumb:
By Greasedmonkey
matt is (eg6) wrote:I dont know who told you it wasnt reliable... and as for the guy posting stuff about ls vtec what the hell does that have to do with a poormans type r... ls-vtec doesnt = poormans r

I smash gsr's, b16's usdm and jdm, lsv and i run side by side with a k swapped ek on k pro... here is my build its good for low 13s on motor 12s on bottle..

Engine: B18C1 block, ported and polished B16A2 head with B16A2 intake
ITR pistons, 00 ITR cams, ITR crank polished and balanced, gsr rods, OEM B18C1 head gasket, RMF narrow B header, injen short ram, ARP head studs and rod bolts, 5zigen catback, tuned on chrome..

tranny: B16B (CTR) with carbon syncros and stage 3 clutch

as for skunk2 intake mani you could just get OEM type R they are basically the same so which ever one you find would work but you gotta watch out for fake skunk2 manifolds the counterfeit them..

This is truth. A true Poormans R build does not include a Non vtec block.

You use a B18c block B16a head with ITR pistons and valve train. Most just upgrade the valve train since ITR shit is just too much.
By 92SiPMR
My setup used to have CTR pistons but comp was 12:7 so i had to run 110 octain so i swapped in the ITR pistons because its my daily i run 91 now 12:5:1 is border line for 91... you might want to get that taken care of before you blow a hole in the piston. you dont want to drive around with your car detonating you could cause major damage you might be able to get it to stop with a tune but you might have to run higher octane.. 12:5:1 should be fine on 91 idk why your spark knocking..

I don't think it was spark knock. A buddy told me that's what it was. But I can't figure out what it is exactly so I wanna rebuild the motor so I know exactly what's in it for sure. Right now I'm just going off the previous owners word.

[/quote]
By bigpunn421
#290693 i would build a gsr block with a ls crank. around a 1.9 liter setup. torque monster for what it is. should make more power than a type r if its tuned.

if my jdm b18c every blows up thats what im doing.
By Greasedmonkey
matt is (eg6) wrote:
92SiPMR wrote:They're quick. I have one in my hatch now. I'm using a b16a2 head and intake on a Gsr bottom end. 12.5:1 compression pistons. No problems so far other than a lil spark knock. It needs to be tuned tho

How on earth do you go from 12.7:1 to 12.5:1 swapping from CTR to ITR pistons?