Proud to represent their Hondas to the world
By swich
#240292 hey guys

any of you got a manual steering rack for me? or to swap for my power steering one.

let me know

92 - 95 ballard
By Datsmart
#240333 I would suggest keeping your power steering rack.
The manual rack is a slower ratio. Best to just loop the hoses and stay with your faster ratio power rack.
There have been several threads on how to loop the hoses.
By Datsmart
#240336 Double post...
By swich
Datsmart wrote:I would suggest keeping your power steering rack.
The manual rack is a slower ratio. Best to just loop the hoses and stay with your faster ratio power rack.

please do your research...

the manual rack has a faster ratio. but it is heaveyer coz it not power assisted. a manual rack is faster then looping the PS rack. (why would they make the rack the is not power assisted slower then the power one? that makes no sence.) if you compare a looped rack to a manual the manual one is better)

ppl are lazy or on a budget so they just loop it. its the ghetto way to delete the PS pump and pipe for a cleaner bay.

the 94 integra has the fastest rack. but we dont get them here in SA. so im just looking for a rack out of the SR4 150 carb. as most of them came with manual racks.
By Riekert
#240420 why the non-ps rack? except the faster ratio though? you taking out your ps completely?

My PS is disconnected at the moment and its really crappy...
By swich
#240427 tuck tuck tuck.
Plus you dont need to turn your wheel more then 180* on the track which is not hard to do when moving. on the street it might need more but if little old grannys in the 150's can do it im sure i can as well.

Ps that is an old photo alot has changed since then.
By chrono404
swich wrote:
Datsmart wrote:I would suggest keeping your power steering rack.

please do your research...

the manual rack has a faster ratio. but it is heaveyer coz it not power assisted. a manual rack is faster then looping the PS rack. (why would they make the rack the is not power assisted slower then the power one? that makes no sence.) if you compare a looped rack to a manual the manual one is better)

ppl are lazy or on a budget so they just loop it. its the ghetto way to delete the PS pump and pipe for a cleaner bay.

the 94 integra has the fastest rack. but we dont get them here in SA. so im just looking for a rack out of the SR4 150 carb. as most of them came with manual racks.

You are the one with Incorrect Information

All Steering Racks have the same Teeth on them, The Difference is in the Rack and Pinion Gearing

Civic manual rack pinion teeth = 7, with 4 Lock to Lock turns.
Civic P/S rack pinion teeth = 8, with 3.6 Lock to Lock turns.
Integra P/S rack pinion teeth = 9, with 3.2 Lock to Lock turns.

This seams very Classic honda, Why remake a entire rack when you can change one small gear to make the difference. Its the same mentality that makes doing Engines swaps so easy.

Reason the Civic Manual Rack has a longer turn is becouse it gives your more leverage to turn your non-power assisted steering wheel.

BTW my Research also shows that Power Steering Delsols(Si/VTEC) have the Integra P/S Rack and Pinion Gears.

Source: http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2422762
Yes the Rack info is about EK's, However EK and EG's Steering Racks are the same, Infact some EK guys who go K Series go to a EG Sub frame brace for more clearance.

Where did you get your source saying the Manual racks were quicker then power racks? every single thing I have read online says the opposite.
By swich
#240491 ok my bad. i just reread my info and they just say rack. and they talking about non power steering. i miss understood. they just say the integra has the best ratio. and that its a manaul rack. but thats coz its been looped.

so he might be right that its better to just loop it. and that is easy to do and go back on later if it want.

again sorry for the mis understanding

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/displ ... readPage=1
By swich
#240633 now just explain some thing to me here please. what you say it buy looping the rack i have a better turning ratio then the manual rack. that being said. surely it should be lighter to turn the wheel with the better ratio. correct?

or am i missing some thing. coz why would you put a heavyer rack on a car with no power assistans.

what am i not understanding?
By Datsmart
buy looping the rack i have a better turning ratio then the manual rack.

Looping the rack does not make it a better turning ratio than a manual rack. The power rack has a better turning ratio because the pinion gear has more teeth and moves the rack faster.

surely it should be lighter to turn the wheel with the better ratio. correct?

No, it is not "lighter to turn the wheel".
The power steering rack has a quicker ratio than a manual rack.
The quicker ratio makes it harder to turn than a manual rack, that is why Honda installs power assist on it.

why would you put a heavyer rack on a car with no power assistans.

I wouldn't. I would leave the power assist on. Honda has a very good tactical feel power steering and the fewer turns lock to lock is a plus over the manual rack.
What do you gain by deleting PS?
Deleting only 16lbs and a few "ugly hoses" is not worth loosing power steering to me.
By swich
#240655 16lb ugly hoses and power lose from the motor in driving the PS...
lol

i know the the speed to turn the wheel with PS will give you quicker times on the track etc. but i would like the manaul rack. coz it is easyer to turn. and that means my GF will be able to drive the car.

I want to delete my PS. if i could find an MR2 power steering pump i would use that. as it is electric, then i could tuck it. clean bay is my goal. ok. happy....

now does any one is SA have or know where i can get a rack for super cheap or to swap?
By Mr Rattles
#240656 if you fnd someone to swap with would you want cash aswell?
By swich
#240662 no a swap is a swap.
By Mr Rattles
swich wrote:no a swap is a swap.

i have one and would love to swap but cant take the car off the road now,
you can try Supreme motors spares on Tel: 021 905 2591 they brake hondas
By swich
#240674 they like honda spares here in PTA. but they pricie that why im looking more for the swap.