J30, J32, J35 & J37
By 92civicEGsedan
#317134 Just a random thought but has anyone done a j swap and put a automatic transmission with paddle shifters in a eg? I think it would be pretty sweet to have something different like that in a car from the 90s
By chrono404
#317204 While it might be possible, I have not seen it and it would be a hard swap.

The easiest way would be to find an Auto J Series with Paddle shifters from an existing Honda/Acura. Then you want to get that Transmission, paddle shifters and the wiring in bewteen, You will also need the TCU(transmission control unit) for it as well.

If there are no paddle shifter J Series autos in a Honda then it will be doable, however very hard, it will require soldering into a TCU and then fabbing in your own control chip. I saw someone who did Fab work for intel put paddle shifters into his Automatic WRX, However it took him over 100hrs of work and that was using his tools and knowledge from Intel.

So Possible? Yes. Hard? Extrememly. Worthwhile? Probally not. The J Series Automatics have had multiple problems. they have had some recalls on them.

If you have the small chip programing and fabbing experence and want to give it a shot look at NASIOC (North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club) and try to find his Build Thread, I do not remember his name but If I do I will post it here.
By 92civicEGsedan
#317224 Doesn't the acura tl have a j series with paddle shifters?
By Ajax1989
#317225 I can vouch for the auto trans.. 3 gear is almost always burnt.. Or the diff bearing walking.. There is a handfull of probs with those trans bein it a cl or tl (same identical trans on the inside)

And as far as know no tl had the paddles.. Maybe the brand new one
By 92civicEGsedan
#317234 Maybe the tl had the slap shifter but something had paddle shifters cuz my uncle was talking about it
By rustyrex
#320624 The last post I can see on that thread is from over a year ago. That would be bad ass if it works
By 92civicEGsedan
rustyrex wrote:The last post I can see on that thread is from over a year ago. That would be bad ass if it works

All you have to do is add a "&page=" and after the = put in a number between 1-13 since that is all the pages in that build thread so far
Last edited by 92civicEGsedan on Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By rustyrex
#320655 Gotcha thanks.