J30, J32, J35 & J37
By DontHateonEG8

DontHateonEG8 wrote:
alldatJUICE wrote:
DontHateonEG8 wrote:
its is not expenisive at all!! all u have to do is look around and probably get a swap for a 1 grand. maybe one more grand for install and for 2,000 ull have a k-swap eater!

with it being a wack automatic......

it couldn't be done for 2k even if you did every bit of work yourself.

and what do you base this on? an opinion?

well here's my proof:

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2455377

yeah, around page 3 there is a price breakdown with a $350 final swap price. yeah i did my homework.

first off.... he found a steal which would be practically impossible to duplicate. goog luck pickin up a 03 CL type s for $1000 that has a working engine/tranny. that tranny alone goes for 3k++. better do some more homework.

Quote:

1k for wrecked CL
-600 for selling some interior
-200 for selling wheels
+90 for axle resplines
+50 in materiels
+ little $ for misc items(vac caps, etc)

Right around 350 bucks I shouldn't say, seeing how I will eventually sell the car for a premium

alldatJUICE wrote:thats not "proof". thats someone gettin lucky as fuck. did you even read through that thread?? he even says its usually almost as much as doin a k swap... :roll:

first off u said it was impossible - it is NOT. second of all, yes i read the whole thread and he bought a salvage cl, which means that it was in an accident and he bought it just for an engine, while others usually buy salvage cars to fix them and sell them. so it would not be "impossible". everything is possible if an effort and time is put -- so its not luck - its work!

and yes, trannies go for 3k because most people, including you, look at the swap as just buying an engine, a tranny and other neccesary items for the swap. others see a possibility in buying a drivable salvage car for 1/2 the price of a swap and taking the engine out of the salvaged car for the swap. while the swaps are identical, there are possibilities with the left over car such as selling the parts off to people in need. so not only u save money for the swap, u "pay it off" by selling parts off - thus the swap is much cheaper in the long run.

here's a thing - most people rather safe time and pay more, while others are not in a rush and save money, because "it takes more time".

(A+ on this homework :woot: )

ur turn to argue... :)
By Joplies
DontHateonEG8 wrote:

DontHateonEG8 wrote:
alldatJUICE wrote:
DontHateonEG8 wrote:
its is not expenisive at all!! all u have to do is look around and probably get a swap for a 1 grand. maybe one more grand for install and for 2,000 ull have a k-swap eater!

with it being a wack automatic......

it couldn't be done for 2k even if you did every bit of work yourself.

and what do you base this on? an opinion?

well here's my proof:

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2455377

yeah, around page 3 there is a price breakdown with a $350 final swap price. yeah i did my homework.

first off.... he found a steal which would be practically impossible to duplicate. goog luck pickin up a 03 CL type s for $1000 that has a working engine/tranny. that tranny alone goes for 3k++. better do some more homework.

Quote:

1k for wrecked CL
-600 for selling some interior
-200 for selling wheels
+90 for axle resplines
+50 in materiels
+ little $ for misc items(vac caps, etc)

Right around 350 bucks I shouldn't say, seeing how I will eventually sell the car for a premium

alldatJUICE wrote:thats not "proof". thats someone gettin lucky as fuck. did you even read through that thread?? he even says its usually almost as much as doin a k swap... :roll:

first off u said it was impossible - it is NOT. second of all, yes i read the whole thread and he bought a salvage cl, which means that it was in an accident and he bought it just for an engine, while others usually buy salvage cars to fix them and sell them. so it would not be "impossible". everything is possible if an effort and time is put -- so its not luck - its work!

and yes, trannies go for 3k because most people, including you, look at the swap as just buying an engine, a tranny and other neccesary items for the swap. others see a possibility in buying a drivable salvage car for 1/2 the price of a swap and taking the engine out of the salvaged car for the swap. while the swaps are identical, there are possibilities with the left over car such as selling the parts off to people in need. so not only u save money for the swap, u "pay it off" by selling parts off - thus the swap is much cheaper in the long run.

here's a thing - most people rather safe time and pay more, while others are not in a rush and save money, because "it takes more time".

(A+ on this homework :woot: )

ur turn to argue... :)

Hahaha good argument bro. Cl's arnt always cheap though even when they are crashed, atleast in my area. That and good luck finding one, most people right now are trying to save their cars. But i agree with you being able to sell off the rest of the crashed vehicle pays off quit well money wise. :thumb:
By JUICE
#130675 i just know that 99 out of 100 people that will do this swap will have AT LEAST 4 grand into it. i'd say thats a light estimate too. good luck findin many people lookin for door panels/interior parts for their 03 cl...
By DontHateonEG8
alldatJUICE wrote:i just know that 99 out of 100 people that will do this swap will have AT LEAST 4 grand into it. i'd say thats a light estimate too. good luck findin many people lookin for door panels/interior parts for their 03 cl...

damn, can you give me your source of those numbers? there is a difference between "i think" and "i know".

well i guess you didnt read the whole thread cause there are people who are looking for interior parts for cl, especially for a black interior conversion, since the motor and the 6 speed tranny is from cl type-s, which usually have black interior.
By egsedanguy
#130688 yal bitchen about a motor swap the none of you will be doing. really guys come on. i looked into a few sites on the cl. well it seems most ppl take the v6 out and slap a prelude motor in... so if the v6 cl motor is being replaced with a 4banger, whats the point? ther is more parts for a h swap then a j. even a k swap makes more sence. and for the price it will very for everyone. shit somone doing a swap might find a crisp motor and trans for 800 bucks. and onther might find the same thing on the other side of the world for 1500 bucks. so it will very. untill one yall do it or actuall get deep into the swap as if your going to do it and really start pricing this shit out, then noone will know. shit just cause someone says the did a b16 swap in ther car for 1000 bucks dont mean the next guy will be so lucky.
By egsedanguy
#130691 well just for fun i called 3 local honda acura dismantlers. all of them said for a acura cl type-s with tranny and engine with the harness and axels and a ecu. will runn about $3,500. thats my proof. now if your looking for a jdm one i would think it will run just a lil more. so i will have to agree with anyone who says this swap will cost around 4 grand. shit just for a wrecked cl 03 on craigs list was selling for $5000. wasnt even black interior.
By matt is (eg6)
#130712 the v6 swap is more of a hey look at what i did kind of thing im saying its a bad thing but i wouldnt fuck with it i would go k or start a new project for that price......as for deals i run across good deals all day long its just timing usually craigslist at 3 in the morning or local forums for me lol :D
By DontHateonEG8
egsedanguy wrote:well just for fun i called 3 local honda acura dismantlers. all of them said for a acura cl type-s with tranny and engine with the harness and axels and a ecu. will runn about $3,500. thats my proof. now if your looking for a jdm one i would think it will run just a lil more. so i will have to agree with anyone who says this swap will cost around 4 grand. shit just for a wrecked cl 03 on craigs list was selling for $5000. wasnt even black interior.

okay im not bitching about it, i just showed the proof that it could be done,.

and junk yards and craigslist are not the only places you can see f'ed up cars. in actuality, junk yards will sell parts for much more because people without a dealer's license have no other options and go to junk yards - thats how junkyards make money. if you have a dealer's license than you can see listings for salvage yards and insurance lots who straight up sell cars - thats where junkyards usually get cars from. so if u eliminate middle man than you can get an engine for much cheaper (watch "American Gangster", lol)

i bet if i spent a month or so looking, i could find a cl type-s for 1000 or 1500 dollars - thats what im in a process of.

either way - a v6 swap is something many dont like and others do. i bet thats how h and k swaps started too.
By zeppelin101
#130736 Put it this way - other than noise what do you really gain from it?

V6s are wide engines, regardless of whether they only weigh a few kgs more than a more common swap - that isn't the issue.

Weight distribution rather than weight addition is the problem. You will need heavier springs to deal with the increased axle load as you can't mount it further back - I should imagine they aren't particularly tuneable either.

It's like V6 swaps into MR2s - all very nice and lovely making them sound more interesting and the owners of V6 MR2s proclaiming they have copious torques from silly revs... but you go through 3k for 200hp. And the overheads after that are expensive.

In terms of a swap for novelty - they're great I'm sure.

A swap for performance though - you won't gain anything and will probably make the car less fun to drive. Unless you only like straight roads.

And even then you'd still get your arse handed to you by a the guy next to you with a K20 and breathing mods.
By egsedanguy
DontHateonEG8 wrote:
egsedanguy wrote:well just for fun i called 3 local honda acura dismantlers. all of them said for a acura cl type-s with tranny and engine with the harness and axels and a ecu. will runn about $3,500. thats my proof. now if your looking for a jdm one i would think it will run just a lil more. so i will have to agree with anyone who says this swap will cost around 4 grand. shit just for a wrecked cl 03 on craigs list was selling for $5000. wasnt even black interior.

okay im not bitching about it, i just showed the proof that it could be done,.

and junk yards and craigslist are not the only places you can see f'ed up cars. in actuality, junk yards will sell parts for much more because people without a dealer's license have no other options and go to junk yards - thats how junkyards make money. if you have a dealer's license than you can see listings for salvage yards and insurance lots who straight up sell cars - thats where junkyards usually get cars from. so if u eliminate middle man than you can get an engine for much cheaper (watch "American Gangster", lol)

i bet if i spent a month or so looking, i could find a cl type-s for 1000 or 1500 dollars - thats what im in a process of.

either way - a v6 swap is something many dont like and others do. i bet thats how h and k swaps started too.

well working for a collision repair shop, and being able to buy cars from the insurance or wreckers is somthing i can do. very simple. and ya im sure with the right luck and resurch im sure you can find a j motor for cheap. but if you stand back and think about this, your avarage jo blow off the streets may not have the resorces you or i may have. so for some ppl it will cost less, for others its not even go ing to happen. ya the k swap cost a lot because of all the custome shit you need. but if you got the means to do the swap. i say good luck and if you do go threw and make this swap. we better get a nice build thread to follow :thumb:

P.S. the whole bitchen part was directed towards all not just you :P
By DontHateonEG8
#130980 finally we can have a nice chat :woot: . im a college student and money wise - j swap looks very delicious. i mean 240+ horses for so cheap? hellz yeah!! i really want to do it, cause its new and rarely seen. hopefully ill have it done before the end of the year - stay posted!
By 93hatcheg
#138560 honestly guys any swap you do is gonna cost a good chunk of change IF you want it to be fast. i agree that a k would probably more practical than a j swap...easier to do...less hasssel. but idk. i have done the b swap and the d swap now and cost=power when you want more of one you get more of the other plain and simple. if some wants a jswap whatever thsats what they want its all a matter of preferance cause i know there b's and k's out there can rape a j. and vise versa. its all in what you want
By xswingkidx
#139733 Hopefully I won't get flamed for this but I'm just throwing out ideas...eg sedan with the J swap and AUTO tranny (with a hood to cover everything up of course) as a daily driver. It would be nice in traffic and still more than enough power to have fun with.
I think it would be awesome.
By DontHateonEG8
#139754 doood! that is exactly what i thought about at walmart when i saw that they had a tiptronic tranny, thus its not as gay as auto, and more like a metrosexual. lol, and cheaper too!
By xswingkidx
DontHateonEG8 wrote:doood! that is exactly what i thought about at walmart when i saw that they had a tiptronic tranny, thus its not as gay as auto, and more like a metrosexual. lol, and cheaper too!

The only variable at that point is to make sure the a/c and everything will hook up and work correctly. 250 hp w/ a 6 speed tiptronic in an ex sedan sounds like a great DD to me! I would just drop it on some nice oem rims, tint the windows and its done.

Granted it could still cost a lot of money but if one were patient enough to find a cheap shell and a good deal on the motor/trans it could probably be done for a decent price.