Questions and topics relating to Right Hand Drive parts and conversions.
By the-hag
#227453 The other day i was on my way to pick up a MINT '92 JDM hatch with 120000 original km's, never winter driven, imported last year! It was a dream come true, at the right price; but i digress. As I'm going to get the car I get a call from my insurance broker...at least $9000 A YEAR!!!! I couldn't believe it, I had a Skyline insured last year with the same company for only $2200, but they informed me that the rules had been changed and that only specialty auto insurance companies dealt with RHD vehicles in Ontario, I called another few companies and 2 other brokers and they told me the same thing. I called the guy to tell him the deal was off, he was surprised and said he hadn't heard any news about the change but who knows. Anyhoo, anybody out there in Onterrible, Canada heads up, if you've got RHD now I would be calling to make sure that they don't change your plan in June 2011, which is what all the brokers told me was happening. It's a bunch of bullshit, but I dont think much can be done about it :x If anyone knows of an econo insurer that does JDM or any RHD in Ontario, maybe post a link here? I didn't dare ask what the deal was if just the engine was from Japan... :shock:
By Carfanatic
teal_dx wrote:what a scam :x

:x :x :x :x :x
By asianrob
#227493 damn! have you looked more into this?
By the-hag
asianrob wrote:damn! have you looked more into this?

Naw I haven't, I ended up picking up a sweet ass '93 del sol for $1700 with a bunch of mods that I'll be putting up in the My Ride Section once I get it cleaned up and have a good camera on me, so I stopped calling them. But anyway, what they told me is that 'it indicates a certain type of driver who would want to drive an imported car'. I said that that wasn't founded at all and that we who import cars take extreme care of them and just because a few assholes with rear wheel drive monsters and no experience crashed them in downtown areas they want to paint everyone with the same brush. I then went on to say, if it's an indication of personality and you know I want one, then why can't you charge me $9000 for similar USDM '92 with no modifications? Because I could do the same damage with either Civic...? She said that that isn't how it works and why would I want to pay more? I replied that she missed my point. I also reminded her of WHY people started tuning Hondas in the early '90s in the first place, a prime reason being lower insurance than say a mustang :thumbdown: and that although I will always be a Honda driver, the people that are the problem will just find w/e car has cheap insurance and start doing stupid shit in those cars. She agreed and said that yes the system is not perfect but that there was nothing she could do (obviously)
If you have had a JDM car insured already, apparently as of June 2011 your coverage will change.(I can't confirm that but shitty buzz if it's true) Like I said another agent told me that no economy insurance companies in Ontario offer new insurance policies on JDM vehicles anymore, only specialty insurers, the people you would call for your Ferrari, or even maybe a custom Hot Rod or something, not sure if he is right but he was the director at that particular broker. I've got a few more questions as well like what about JDM motors? what if it's a LHD conversion? or RHD conversion!? Anyone out there work for an insurance company??? Bottom line this sucks and I feel like it's only the beginning :facepalm:
By the-hag
asianrob wrote:damn! have you looked more into this?

Remember this is in Ontario Canada, I don't know what they are planning out where 'the wind comes sweeping down the plaines' :lol:
By asianrob
#227543 ha man that sucks! sounds like they didnt have enough money in their pockets already!! man insurance is like a double sides sword!! its good and bad

good to have if you ever need a claim
bad if you have to pay to much!
By Eg6H2D
#228945 Not even they act stupid when they have to pay you. knowoing youve given them alot more then what they have to give you being with them so many years..

But yea out here in Mass. my buddy boss who owns a reppair shop just registered an R33 Skyline.. dont now what insurance is on it since he has dealer plates. but yea registered in MASS with title!! Sexy..
By Chance
#230332 :shock: :thumbdown:
By 1992HondaCivicHatchDX
#318656 Reason for all this stupid crap in ontario is because of some dumbass that drove a RHD Skyline downtown ottawa (hometown :thumb: ) and killed a few people because he couldnt get used to the RHD... so get mad at the dumb ass skyline driver :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
By 1_bad_eg
#318680 fuck ontario laws and there shit...........

Competition Insurance (Edmonton)
#204 17205 106A Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta T5S 1M7
Canada
Phone: (780) 451-7940
Fax: (780) 444-3202

Toll Free: 1-800-454-5592
Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday
8:30 am - 4:30 pm

or

Hagerty Insurance

Hagerty Canada, LLC

37 Sandiford Dr.
Suite 100
Stouffville, ON L4A 7X5

Telephone

Phone:

both are custom car insurance providers for ontario. hope this helps anyone.....
By HeikDiesel
#318833 I don't pay anywhere near that to insure my hatch, and that's in the United States. I'd check with collector/special interest people like Hagerty