D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By rusty_eg3
#414453 *** SORRY for posting the same thing 458 times :))), it was due to an error. Please delete the posts.***

Hey guys! So, my problem is exactly as it says in the title. I bought the car 4 months ago, with this horrible tapping sound, I wasn't too worried since I've noticed that it comes from the top part of the engine. Drove it like that all winter so now I've decided to replace a few parts and also have the valves adjusted. I went to an acquaintance of mine, a reputable Honda mechanic in my area and basically let the guy do his thing. After he adjusted the valve lash, I drove it like that for 2 weeks and then the sound reappeared. He didn't say anything like "dude your head is trash" or "you should really rebuild this engine/head". This weekend I'm almost certain that I will buy another head, and get it rebuilt and maybe throw it on the car some day in the near future, but should I first attempt to adjust them myself and see what happens? Here's a link of how the engine sounds on cold starts. It's worse in the video than in reality. (and those are KMs not Miles) Maybe you can give me some advice. Thanks in advance.

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FneXeX58gFg
By TrailerTrash
#6906901 I have heard alot worse. but that is also a cold start on high idle. let it get nice and warmed up then take another video maybe walking up to the car slowly with the hood open
By rusty_eg3
#6906936 Just had the timing adjusted based on a hunch, turns out I was right, the guy told me it was way out. Do I need to readjust the valves now? Can't really find any info on that or maybe I just suck at googling lol.

The car still works and still has that annoying sound but now it diminished just a bit because it's super hot outside in my country right now. I looked through the oil fill hole and saw a bit of cam lobe damage (those little stripes that catch the nail) but obviously I couldn't look at all of them. I guess I've just found my problem.

I know the d15b2 is a crappy engine but swapping a bigger engine is not street legal in my country (super stupid legislation) so I'm planning to rebuild this head with a few parts I can get for cheap: d16a6 cam, adjustable cam pulley and MPFI swap and maybe new piston rings. I don't need extreme performance, car is a DD and also old as hell, I'm happy just to see her running.

Thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.
By MG6
#6907638 It doesn't hurt to readjust your valves and check but make sure your timing is align and did you mention you did a tune up (spark plugs change, wires, and cap/rotor changed?)
By rusty_eg3
#6907643 No, I did not change the spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor. I'm planning on doing that plus a new NGK ignition coil but all my money went in the undersealing i did this weekend so those ignition parts will have to wait just a bit.

As for my other question? I went a little off-track from the original subject of this thread but I'd really like to know if I'm in the right direction with my little project: MPI swap, d16a6 cam and adjustable cam pulley. Thanks!