D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By Cammie-92EG
#359574 Hi guys, new here i have got hold of my first civic EG running a D15B2 engine when i went to pick it up it wouldn't start so we replaced the distributor and it started up straight away i drove it home, everything was fine every now and then it wont start when it does start it does so as the EML comes on i can hear it prime then it the light goes out and it starts but every now and then it will prime the light goes out but wont start then when i try start it again it doesn't prime and the light stays on and it wont start if i leave it ten mins it will start confusing the hell out of me just wondering if anyone on here had a clue as to what could be the issue and it only does it after its been running

T.I.A

Cam
By TrailerTrash
#359575 first of all, welcome to CivicEG :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

if i understand you correctly sometimes the car starts just fine and then sometimes the car primes but does not start and the CEL(check engine light) stays on.

if that is the case you will have to check the code that it is throwing

on a side note when you replaced the distributor did you set the timing correctly? just putting it in the same position as the last one isnt the right way and it can affect how the car runs
By HeikDiesel
#359577 What's the CEL for?

I would check for the solder joints in the main relay to be defective. I've had to re-do probably a half a dozen that had intermittent no start issues.
By Cammie-92EG
#359578 yeah thats right and i have its throwing code 16 wich is something to do with the injectors but a freind said that its something to do with the fuel pump relay he had this problem before with an EJ9 D14 so yeah hopefuly hes right and just a relay and no just threw it on where the old one was and its only doing it when the engine is hot the cars runs beautifuly and heikdiesel its only when hot mate

thanks
By Cammie-92EG
#359629 I've Replaced the main fuel relay (RZ-0132 part number 39400-SR3-003) and the car works spot on now :) if anyone reads this with the same problem etc try using a second hand relay as honda wanted £80 for one lol

thanks for the help people
By teal_dx
#359649 The solder joints on the main relay tend to crack over time. Don't toss your old relay. You can pop the cover and re-solder those cracked joints and it should be as good as new :thumb:
By HeikDiesel
Cammie-92EG wrote:I've Replaced the main fuel relay (RZ-0132 part number 39400-SR3-003) and the car works spot on now :) if anyone reads this with the same problem etc try using a second hand relay as honda wanted £80 for one lol

thanks for the help people

Glad that worked for you :thumb: