D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By Drunkenmaster06
#358252 Ok new to the Honda world. Through some swapping around I have ended up with this little coupe. So far I'm really digging the car with the exception of it occasionally stalling on me at a stop light so bad that I have to pedal it to keep it running. Then at the next stoplight 1000 ft down the road idles fine!?!? So far as I can tell (like I said new to Hondas so correct me if I'm wrong) this car is swapped? Where should I look to try to fix this intermittent idle issue? Is it an issue associated with swaps or just a maintenance issue? Thanks for any info
By EconoBox
#358263 What ECU are you running with that D16y8?

The reason I ask is that the stock 92-95 ECUs all see base timing as 16 degrees.

Base timing on a D17y8 is 12degrees. You want the ECU to be mapped to the original base timing of the engine you are using.

This can cause intermittent idle issues depending on where in the temperature adjustment table the 'Map' on the ecu is using at that specific time. A chipped ECU from somewhere like Phearable.net or Xenocron.com would fix that issue.

Other common Honda issues:
Idle Air Control valve- Also check and clean the idle air control valve (bolted to the back of the intake manifold). You can search and find plenty of threads on how to do this. The gasket, if it needs replaced, is available at any Honda dealership for a few dollars.

Main relay- search how to re-solder a main relay. This is another common issue to cause intermittent stalling.
By Drunkenmaster06
#358305 I've been looking over the car and did notice that the distributor doesn't seem to match the engine only 2 out of the 3 bolts are in use and they don't like up correctly it actually has the dis locked in one spot unable to advance or retard idle ignition timing I haven't tried to see what the timing is at the moment yet but will try to soon
By TrailerTrash
#358313 its probably one of those issues econobox mentioned.

alot of people half ass swaps in these cars and as long as they run, that is good enough for them.

but since you are new to hondas this should be a good read for you and could help you in the future if you plan to stick around with hondas
http://www.superhonda.com/forum/f55/tro ... ms-259965/
By suspendedHatch
#358323 The distributor when mounted isn't supposed to rotate. The ECU adjusts the ignition timing electronically. The distributor position just sets the base idle.
You probably have a D16Z6 distributor. You need an OBD1 non VTEC distributor (D15B7). Any D Series OBD0 or OBD2 distributor would work as well, but you'd need adapters for the plugs. There is a little code on the side of one of the mounts on the distributor with "TD###" that you can confirm what distributor you have.