D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By peter_g
#358229 Hi there, I've been looking for a replacement hose for my car for a couple of weeks now and still no luck I am wondering if you guys would be able to help.

THis Hose goes from the back of the block, close to the air intake manifold and then into the FITV. The hose is split and leaking coolant, once I replace this pipe I'll then drain and bleed the system with new coolant at a 50/50 mix.

If you could please help.

Pics below
please ignore the dirty engine bay, its located in this area

Top down view of the throttle body to where the hose enters the FITV

Close view of the hose

Whilst were at it, what is the best way to clean an engine bay?
By teal_dx
#358232 A good way to clean an engine bay is to let the engine cool, cover the battery and alternator with plastic, then spray the whole thing with a degreaser like Simple Green or Gunk. Let it sit for 5 or so mins (product directions may have a more specific time) and then hose it all off. Some areas might need done 2x, or even require some elbow grease. An old toothbrush works great for tight areas.
By peter_g
#358234 Oh my god!

You guys are incredible, thank you so, so much :D

Driv-It hard and iLLson, the info helped a heap

Plus Teal thanks for the info on the engine bay cleaning I will look into that too and hopefully start posting pics of a clean engine bay :)
By Driv-it-hard
peter_g wrote:Oh my god!

You guys are incredible, thank you so, so much :D

Driv-It hard and iLLson, the info helped a heap

Plus Teal thanks for the info on the engine bay cleaning I will look into that too and hopefully start posting pics of a clean engine bay :)

Anytime !
That's why will are all here .
To help each other.
By peter_g
#358362 UPDATE::

Well that didn't really go as planned, I took off the bypass hose and then taking off the Hose connected to the FITV I snapped the nipple off! I barely put any weight on it, it is normal for parts to become so badly corroded?
By peter_g
#358373 Its just old and I'm in Oz but i am in Perth so could the salt in the air cause the corrosion?

Would you guys know the part number for the FITV? as I called Honda and they said it is a discontinued part, not to be deterred i then went to all the scrap yards AND aftermarket suppliers all to be met with blank faces and head shakes.
By iLLson
peter_g wrote:UPDATE::

Well that didn't really go as planned, I took off the bypass hose and then taking off the Hose connected to the FITV I snapped the nipple off! I barely put any weight on it, it is normal for parts to become so badly corroded?

thats what happens when someone decides to keep using only water in their cooling system.

coolant it suppose to lubricate and to a certain extent, protect against corrosion.
i wont be surprised when you change your water pump, it is just as corroded.
By peter_g
#358382 Noted, I did have to have the water pump replaced last year about 2 months after I bought her. The Mechanic kindly gave me 50/50 coolant mix, did emphasise I used deionised water so I have only been using that.
By suspendedHatch
#358387 Do the temps drop below freezing where you live? Doubt it but idk.

Delete and bypass the FITV. Get a thick piece of sheet metal, cut it to shape and drill three holes in it. Find three shorter bolts. Buy some gasket paper, sandwich it in there. Then plug or loop the coolant lines that go from one side of the head to the IACV, through the FITV and back to the other side of the head. You'll actually pick up some hp since you greatly reduce the temperature of your intake manifold and throttle body.

The system exists to give you a fast idle to warm up on cold starts and to unfreeze your throttle plate if it's cold enough that the air moisture freezes it shut. It is nothing but a headache. It's one of the known problem systems on Hondas from this era. JDM cars came without it.
By peter_g
#358421 That sounds like a simple mod. The temerature rarely drops below freezing, in winter sometimes there may be a light frost on the ground but by 9pm it has melted away.

Thanks for the info. I'll see what I can do and get back to you :-)

Though wouldn't deleting the fitv and bypassing iacv cause an idle surge?
By suspendedHatch
#358550 Nope. Just plug the hole between the coolant and the throttle body with a block off plate as I mentioned.
The IACV doesn't need a plug. You can remove the nipple cap off the bottom of it and see that it's fully separate from the IACV air passages.