D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By JoPaGre
#357929 Hey there.. well, i've been trying to figure out whats wrong with my D15B2..

It makes a strange noise when starting - after being hot.. witch iv'e located to the intake manifold… (well my dad said is came from there - so basically, not haha)
- just wondering if anyone has tried this - or know what it is ?

It starts fine when cold.. but when iv'e been out driving, park it for 10 minutes.. it won't start right away.. but makes this sound - as in the video below… Sometimes.. this kills it when i'm trying to start… in the video i did start though.. It's the sound it makes.. and 2-3 seconds into the video...

https://vimeo.com/149763608

I don't think it's the main relay - but i'll have to check when i got a day off…
Could it be timing - that is off?
Or maybe The PCV valve?
Vaccum issue ?

Anyone ? :?
By teal_dx
#357936 Is it that Whoomp sound? I haven't had a car do that before. Since it's only happening while it's hot, and coming from the intake manifold, I'm going to guess it has something to do with vacuum. Main relay is an electrical component under the dash, it wouldn't make a noise like that. Timing being off would make the car run bad.

Did it just start doing this out of the blue one day? If so, was this after you did some work under the hood? If you're behind on maintenance, it would be a good idea to catch up on the things that should be done. The PCV valve would be a good start. It seems the Whoomp is happening after the engine cranks, which is when the cylinders are building pressure, so it could be related. Especially because a hot engine will have tighter tolerances compared to a cold one, meaning if something is gunked up and barely opening, it would be worse when hot. Cylinders also have more compression when an engine is hot. But strange that it doesn't happen at all when cold.
How's your motor in general? Things like Mileage, all original, burning any oil, running well? How many miles?
By suspendedHatch
#357995 Buzzing from the intake manifold with the key on is the IACV.
Some people spend a couple hundred dollars to replace them. Some people spend less on one from the junkyard. Still other people pull them off and hose them out with carb cleaner and compressed air.
By JoPaGre
#358840 Okay - it did it like 3 times… haven't done it since !
I did found a hose that was loose - put it back on and problem solved…

but yea i've serviced it - all fluids and it's done 160k
but never had a problem since… did change the PCV valve though..

Thanks guys !