D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By Loaf31
#357637 So this is the DIY on how to replace the D15B7 camshaft with a D16A6 one for a bit of a power bump. dont expect much, but if your timing is right and everything is done correctly, you'll feel your B7 pull a bit stronger all through the Powerband, especially if you have the bolt-ons :D There's a ton more information here http://www.d-series.org/forums/engine-building/149636-definitive-d15b7-a6-zc-cam-post.html. I highly recommend going there and checking it out first. It will explain why you need the Y8 cam gear.

Items needed:
D16A6 Camshaft
D16Y7 or D16Y8 Cam gear
Sockets and a Ratchet
Torque Wrenches
Total time needed: 3-4 Hours
Difficulty: 5/10
Total Amount paid: $55

Step 1) Crack the lug nuts, jack up your car and take the wheel off. Then put a jack stand underneath the jack point.

Step 2) Using a 17MM socket on the crankshaft pulley bolt, rotate the crank until the Camshaft sprocket is at TDC.
Step 3) Jack up the oil-pan using a piece of wood to evenly distribute the pressure. Then remove the three 17MM bolts holding the motor mount in place. then remove the mount. This will free up the room that you need to

Step 4) Using a 14mm socket, loosen the timing belt tensioner.
Step 5) Remove the distributor.

Step 6) Remove the valve cover and set the bolts aside.

Step 7) Slip the timing belt off the cam gear.

Step 8) Remove the rocker arm assembly, making sure to remove the bolts in order.

Step 9) Remove the camshaft and put in the A6 cam, making sure that the new cam is placed at TDC.

Step 10) Place the rocker arm assembly back down onto the head and valve springs. Torque the the bolts down in the proper sequence and to the Torque Specifications (16 Ft-lbs).

Step 11) Slip the timing belt back on the cam gear, then tension the belt by rotating the crankshaft counterclockwise by three teeth on the cam sprocket. This puts tension on the belt. Then, tighten the tensioner belt.

Step 12) Now you're going to need to whip out that Y8 cam gear that you have sitting around. Using a socket on the crank pulley bolt, have someone hold pressure so that you can crack the Camshaft sprocket bolt. once the bolt is loose, loosen the tensioner bolt and slip the belt off the sprocket once again. Then, take the bolt out of the sprocket and pull the sprocket off the end of the camshaft. Then, slip the new Y8 cam gear onto the camshaft (don't worry, the sprocket is keyed) and tighten the bolt FINGER TIGHT. Then, slip the belt onto the cam gear one last time, and rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise 3 teeth on the cam sprocket to put tension on the timing belt. Then tighten the Tensioner bolt one last time. Next, tighten the cam sprocket bolt down while having someone hold the crankshaft still.

Step 13) Re-Install the Valve cover, distributor, spark plug wires, and motor mount. Let the jack down off your oil-pan.

Step 14) Put your wheel back on, tighten it down and you're done!

Hope this helped! :thumb:
Last edited by Loaf31 on Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
By iLLson
#357639 nioce. how does it feel?

i swapped over the whole d16a6 head (had the head milled and runnign a adj cam gear)

i havent been able to push it yet cuz im having timing issues.

i think it is the damn aem adjustable cam gear i have.

i would have used the oe y8 one i bought but since i decided to mill the head, i can only assume that the y8 cam gear wouldnt be able to be dead at 0 with timing.
By Loaf31
#357641 Yeah that would cause some issues.
It feel pretty good! Can't really tell a difference with 2 people in the car though. But with one person, you can definitely feel it pull harder.
By iLLson
#357642 im going to be messing with the timing again tonight. hopefully i will have everything situated.

get some pull vids or hit up a local track and post vids