D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By iLLson
#356558 i have been reading up on d15beast7 (d15b7/a6 cam) builds and threads for quite some time now....

and i have a question for those that might have done the setup im thinking of dong.

i have a spare a6 head just chilling in my garage...
instead of just swapping the cam, im just going to swap the whole head over and run a y7/y8 cam gear to correct timing.

since i have the head already off the car, im going to be bringing it to a machine shop to mill the head .040. from the calculators, i should be @ 10.5:1 compression.

i do want to bump it up a bit more to free up some power.

ive read that y7/y8 metal head gasket will do it.
(already have one ordered)

some also remove the center layer of the head gasket to make it a 2 layer.
(which should bump it to 10.8:1)

if i do remove the center layer and run it with 2 layers, would just using a y7/y8 cam gear be enough to correct timing?

i do plan to bringing it to a local tuner to get it dyno tuned

i have had issues with adjustable cam gears before on another build and would like to keep it a bit more simple with this build.

plans are to have a 120 whp sohc non vtec.
By suspendedHatch
#356579 Be careful with old info about headgaskets. I'm pretty sure Honda revised all the D series headgaskets into one part. Z6 and Y8 at least- but it's been forever since I looked into it.
I understand your trepidation but I think you should still go with a good quality adjustable cam gear and find a good tuner.
120whp out of a non VTEC would be nice. I got 119whp out of an internally stock 3 Stage VTEC engine. All I had was an ebay CAI, DC header, 2.25 custom exhaust, and it was tuned on an AEM EMS.