D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By anya2dgre
#356275 Any one knows if I can take a piston from one engine and place it it another engine. Piston and rings that is...... :?
By anya2dgre
#356278 Does it make sense from those with experience to change the rings in the d engines. Will the performance of the engine change drastically. :mrgreen:
By iLLson
#356287 normally when you get new rings installed, you will have to hone the cylinder walls. worn rings canl scar the cylinder walls. get your cylinder walls rehoned and get the rigns to match the cylinder walls.
By HeikDiesel
#356289 Based on the questions you're asking I would recommend a professional to repair your engine anya2dgre
By Loaf31
#356311 Which D series engine do you have?
I have replaced the rings in my D15B7. It's a lengthy process. when you do that, you need to replace the connecting rod bearings as well as the crank case bearings.
Get a Helms manual and follow those instructions and you should be fine. if you're gonna take out the internals, may as well get some aftermarket rods in case you wanna see about laying down serious power later. thats one thing that I regret not doing when I replaced my pistons. Make sure that you put the rod caps with their respective pistons. If you put the rod caps on the wrong pistons, your crankshaft wont move. just do them one at a time and you should be fine.
By anya2dgre
#356333 Ok......but does the engines performance increase . I know I will not have a super fast engine... But for guys who have done this before what was the result ? Does the feel of the engine be different like a new engine or was there not such of a biggie. I have the d15b jdm 3 stage vtec. When I had now replaced the engine about 3 years ago,, the ngine was a used one btw. It ran like a bitch...real good that is but it gradually started to loose power. It still runns but not as it used too..
By Loaf31
#356335 It'll feel a lot better, more responsive. But it wont gain you any power if thats what you're asking. However, swapping in High compression pistons WILL give you more power. Since you'll already have the pistons out, now would be the perfect time to swap in some upgraded ones. It'll be a but more expensive, but so worth it in the long run. Plus it'll gain you a few Horsepower straight away.
By anya2dgre
#356338 High compression pistons wow :shock: that's a first for me. Sounds impressive ....I still have my options open and will take a look into it ...... :thumb:
By anya2dgre
#356340 Is there a difference between the jdm d15b vtec piston and the 3stage d15b vtec piston with respect to compression .
By Loaf31
#356351 The JDM D15B has a 9.3 to 1 compression ratio, just slightly above the D15B7.
I think the D15B 3 stage vtec that you're referring to is actually the D15Z7. In which case, it's compression ratio is 9.6 to 1. Slightly higher than the D15B Vtec.
By anya2dgre
#356494 Yo...... Does any have a link as to where I can source some high compression pistons for my 3 stage d15b engine.
By anya2dgre
#356561 Yo again ....does anyone know the size of piston, the engine carries and if there are any substitutes I can use to get more power off this engine. What about the b16 piston can that fit after reboring or will it be to big.
By anya2dgre
#356612 So after doing some research, the bore of the e stage vtec15 b engine is 75mm. The d16 engine carries the same bore. I am judging that the high compression piston for a d16 will work.......or am I wrong...... :(
By HeikDiesel
#356613 Should. Only thing I can see different would be the placement of the wrist pin which would affect R/S ratio, compression height, and a few other variables. What's going to be your end all power goal?