D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By Aaron Rodriguez
#355838 i have a d15b8 that i bought off a guy who sold me my 95 si Eg. The problem is that its leaking antifreeze somewhere in the back of the engine. Also i added a new exhaust system (headers, pipes, exhaust). but black smokes comes out of the exhuast . what could it be? valve cover? (head gasket was recently replaced). And it is also misfiring. Is my engine done??
By teal_dx
#355839 The leaking coolant could be a number of things. You'll have to get under it with a light to pinpoint the location. There's a water pipe that runs along the back of the block that can leak, there's hoses back there, there's the thermostat housing...
When was the last tune-up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor)?
Black smoke is from excess fuel, which means your spark must be weak (or you're dumping too much fuel into the motor, which could be a malfunctiong o2 sensor)
So first, I'd look at a basic tune-up, since it's already misfiring.
Is there a check engine code on?
By suspendedHatch
#355999 No, the valve cover gasket can't possibly cause black smoke.
It's almost certain that the head gasket wasn't done right. But before you get into that, are you sure this is a motor you want to be wasting time and effort on? It's an eight valve, 70hp CX motor. The baseline DX motor is 102hp. How much did you pay for it? People give them away. You have mods on it so it's clear you want to go fast. At a bare minimum you want to get a D16Z6 to work with.

If anyone wants to sell you a Honda engine claiming they just replaced the head gasket, RUN AWAY. They're selling it because they didn't do it right, they're having problems and they don't want to do it again.
Head gaskets on Japanese cars are not done the same way they're done on domestics. I just pulled the head off a B18b with a recent head gasket change. The block and head surfaces looked like they had been scraped by raccoons. All the bolts were over torqued and several had snapped off. The original head bolts were re-used. The gasket blew on two cylinders and I had to have the pistons replaced and the cylinders bored and honed. This engine would have been better off if the previous owner had done nothing at all. It's clear he took a razor blade and made a mess of the surfaces, slapped a new gasket down and cranked down on all the bolts until they felt tight. That's how he's always done it on his Mustangs and Camaros. Either that or he's your typical Honda idiot. Can't trust a Honda that's been worked on.

I bet once you take the head off, you'll find the same. Chuck the engine and consider a swap. gl
By Aaron Rodriguez
#356180 Thanks i had my buddy check out the engine and the head gasket wasnt done right. The engine is complete garbage, i am considering a swap, i have somebody who offered me an Ls long block with gsr pistons and acl rod bearings. im thinking of getting but not too sure i will still need a trans and the clutch kit because it doesnt come with the swap. i have an $800 budget for a swap by the way!
By suspendedHatch
#356820 $800 isn't enough for a B swap. Besides a trans and clutch, you need motor mounts, shift linkage, ECU, fluids, belts, plugs etc. If you have AC or PS then you need Del Sol brackets.
Secondly, NEVER trust an engine that has had internal work done on it. It's never done right, or else they wouldn't be selling it. In fact, never trust an engine that comes from a tuner. Assume it's junk. Don't pay more than $250 for it and that's ONLY if you can turn the crank and confirm compression.
$800 is just enough to swap in an imported D15b VTEC, trans, and P28 ECU. With an $800 budget, that is where you need to be going with this.