D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By vince72310
#354083 ok so today i finalllyyy bought my jspec d15b sohc vtec long block, i took it to my mechanic and he said according to what he can read on the head that this is a bad reading, i tried to call the shop back to ask if they have the compression ratio but they were already closed and wont be open till Monday. They wrote the numbers sloppy we can barely make out what it says. can anybody read this and/or tell me teh compression for this engine? PLEASE i hope i didnt spend $866 only to rebuild the engine :shock: :cry:

130-160-180-200
By broken
#354098 Looks like the motor needs a rebuild. If the numbers you posted are infact the compression numbers, then you either have bad rings, blown head gasket or bad valves. I think 11% or higher difference between cylinders is the general rule of thumb. Teal_DX would know for sure. He posted once before on this. I also believe I had read on here 210 was the magic number for compression. I know my D15B in my eg has 205 and my lowest before I sent it out to the machine shop to get built was 196. Hope this helps.
By teal_dx
#354107 130 is really bad news :( I can't believe they would sell you a motor with an obvious problem. 160 isn't good, but I wouldn't even want to drive with compression of 130. The other two cyls look great though. Hopefully it's just a leaking headgasket.