D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By egsedanguy
#351817 I cant find a strait answer to this. If I put a y8 intake mani on my z6 head, does it actually flow better than the stock z6? I have found a few of them for cheap and if its worth the 30-40$ for one then ill get it. But if there is no gains then ill put the money into something else!
By teal_dx
#351818 Z6 is designed for better top end flow, while the y8 (slightly wider, shorter runners with larger plenum) was designed for better usable mid range. Very minimal differences in actual power between the two.
I doubt you would be able to tell any difference.
By egsedanguy
teal_dx wrote:Z6 is designed for better top end flow, while the y8 (slightly wider, shorter runners with larger plenum) was designed for better usable mid range. Very minimal differences in actual power between the two.
I doubt you would be able to tell any difference.

Ok thanks. What else can I do? like a cam? I have a second head that I will be doing 3 way valve job, mild port and polish, bronze valve guides, and hopefully the valves, springs and retainers. So I want to start collecting stuff for it. I found out the head gasket I used is taking a dump on me. Starting to heat up on random. Also putting pressure into my cooling system. Already blew a upper hose a few months ago. I only drive it to and from work until I can fix it. Lucky for me its only 3 miles away. :woot:
By Civic Savior
#351831 I am actually doing the Z6 head with the Y8 intake mani. i have read it flows the best for d series but you need a good tune to notice any difference. It does look good under the hood though :thumb:

EDIT: check out my threads :D
By egsedanguy
Civic Savior wrote:I am actually doing the Z6 head with the Y8 intake mani. i have read it flows the best for d series but you need a good tune to notice any difference. It does look good under the hood though :thumb:

Do you have a pic of it installed?
By egsedanguy
#351836 I looked agin online and yes it does look better but its just so mixed on witch one actually is better. Some say z6 is better others say y8 is better. I think ill just keep the z6.
By teal_dx
egsedanguy wrote:
Civic Savior wrote:I am actually doing the Z6 head with the Y8 intake mani. i have read it flows the best for d series but you need a good tune to notice any difference. It does look good under the hood though :thumb:

Check my build thread, I have the y8 mani on a Y8 mini-me, then I used it again on my z6 head. It is a damn good looking intake mani 8)
By egsedanguy
teal_dx wrote:
egsedanguy wrote:

Check my build thread, I have the y8 mani on a Y8 mini-me, then I used it again on my z6 head. It is a damn good looking intake mani 8)

it is very nice. What to I need to put it on? and do I use the y8 TB or my z6 tb? Also do I need to swap any sensors or use all the z6 stuff on the y8?
By Civic Savior
#351858 It should be a direct bolt on. It depends on the year of the car the mani came off of. If you look at Teal's mini me DIY it lays out in detail how it should be modified to work if it has to be modified at all.

http://www.civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=10
By egsedanguy
#351859 z6 manifold is different than d15 right?. Or are they set up the same sensor wise? Would I have to drill a hole in the iat on the y8 also? I never read anywhere else that in order to use it you had to mod a spot for it. Like I said its hard to find a good yes or no and a good how to on the mods needed to fit.
By teal_dx
#351864 You can drill a hole in the manifold like I did, or extend the wire and drill a hole in the intake tube, before the throttle body like the OBD2 civics have.

z6 intake manifold is a little bigger than the d15b7. Here's a side by side comparison:
http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=3340
By egsedanguy
#351865 ok cool. Last question. I live in California, would I get dinged for putting it on the intake? Or should I play it safe and drill a hole on the back and jb weld it and make it look more " stock "???? and what did you drill with? Thanks for the help guys. :thumb:
By teal_dx
#351868 I just used a regular old drill bit, the aluminum is soft & easy to drill through. Just put a little lube and take breaks to keep the bit cool.
I hear cali is strict... wont they fail you if you have any other intake manifold besides the stock one? I can't say for sure since I'm fortunate enough to never have to go thru the trouble of smogging a car in cali.
By egsedanguy
teal_dx wrote:I just used a regular old drill bit, the aluminum is soft & easy to drill through. Just put a little lube and take breaks to keep the bit cool.
I hear cali is strict... wont they fail you if you have any other intake manifold besides the stock one? I can't say for sure since I'm fortunate enough to never have to go thru the trouble of smogging a car in cali.

ok cool.
I should be fine. Its still a stock mani. If I used a skunk 2 or something I would have to have a carb number for it. sucks cause we have to do so much just to have a little fun. that's why I havnt turbo any of my cars