D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By slow4dr
#351527 Can you leave the engine wiring harness attached to the engine an just disconnect it from the strut tower. If so is there anything else I have to disconnect. Only reason I ask is I'm buying another z6 and it's coming with a harness I figured it'd save some time leaving them connected to the engines
By teal_dx
#351530 Yes you can do exactly what you described :thumb:
Be sure to unhook anything connecting engine to tranny, it you/re leaving the trans in and just swapping the motor. (VSS sensor) Also don't forget the big alternator/starter wires, they're separate from the tower harnesses.
By slow4dr
#351532 Awesome thank you. Trans is staying in the car. Just pulling the engine as there is nothing wrong with the transmission. It will be getting a stage 1 clutch kit and 8 lb flywheel
By slow4dr
#351538 Haha those are common sense.
By suspendedHatch
#351544 It's more trouble leaving the transmission in than taking it out with the engine.
By TrailerTrash
suspendedHatch wrote:It's more trouble leaving the transmission in than taking it out with the engine.

this is very true.

the T bracket, starter/cables, slave cylinder, tranny mount, speed sensor, one or 2 ground wires, and the axles. then the whole deal drops right out.

plus then you can mate the engine to the transmission while its out of the car which is much easier than trying to get the engine back on the transmission in the engine bay.
By slow4dr
#351556 Thanks for all the great info guys
By teal_dx
TrailerTrash wrote: then you can mate the engine to the transmission while its out of the car which is much easier than trying to get the engine back on the transmission in the engine bay.

Much less cursing/drinking when lining up the engine/tranny out of the car - for sure :thumb:
By slow4dr
#351564 I agree but my fiancé dad is the one helping me. Him being a 40+ year mechanic is how he wants to do it. I'm not going to argue with him lol. I'm just going to try to get as much ready before he jumps in as I can.
By TrailerTrash
#351583 hey thats cool man :thumb: as long as it gets done right and there are no "extra" parts left over at the end :lol:
By slow4dr
#351585 Only extra parts are what I'm replacing haha