D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By 92civicEGsedan
#350246 Okay guys Sunday I'm going to look at a d16z6 that's got 5000 miles on a rebuild comes with Oem rings and bearings
Cometic head gasket
ARP head studs
Blox block gaurd
New valves and seals
New timing kit and water pump.
New NGK plugs and wires
DC sport header and 5 speed transmission comes with the shift linkages mounts and everything but the Ecu so I'll only need to buy the Ecu and everything between the clutch pedal to the transmission and it's all for $500 now it's not in the car so I can't hear it run is there anyway to check to see if I'm not buying something that's a pos withouth having to take the head off?
By TrailerTrash
#350248 even if you take the head off you can only tell so much without actually running the motor or tearing it down completely.

buying a motor like that is pretty much always a gamble but for 500 id say its a good price for an out of car motor.

check everything you can. check for leaks, stripped out bolts and the threads of bolt holes, check and see how bad the oil looks, open the throttle body and look around in there, maybe pull the plugs and take the timing cover off to see that the timing belt hasnt snapped.

and if you can, turn the motor over by hand just to make sure it aint locked up
By teal_dx
#350250 You'll still be able to get a compression reading if you crank it by hand. It will be lower than if the engine was warm. Also check the oil for any metallic particles. It wouldn't hurt to pull the valve cover and/or oil pan off to have a look inside if the seller seems iffy.
By 92civicEGsedan
#350254 Thanks y'all even if the motor is shot and the transmission is good it will come with everything to swap it In and it's about the same price for me to just go buy everything to swap the transmission in but the seller said he wrecked his car and is needing to sell it for to get some money to buy another one
By 92civicEGsedan
#350255 And then I would have a spare motor I could rebuild since mine burns/leaks two quarts of oil every 250-500 miles
By 92civicEGsedan
#351804 Well I finally payed my friend off and got it all home and it has a bbk power plus throttle body 62mm