D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By Hoodrat
#350160 So my temp gauge does not work. When I turn the accessories on with the key the gauge goes up bout 1/4 inch or so I assume that's just showing it's getting power. But after that no matter how long I drive it it stays there then when I turn it off it drops back down and every time I turn the key it will go to that same position. I was thinking coolant temp sensor under distributor, is there a way to test it? Or is it possible some one completely took out the thermostat? Any tips will help thanks
By teal_dx
#350162 If the thermostat was missing or stuck open, the gauge would still work some.
Are you getting hot air when you turn the heat on?

I'd look closely at the connection of the wire on the temp sensor.

If that's good, then here is how to troubleshoot to determine if it is the sensor or the gauge:
By Hoodrat
#350164 Yes heat blows hot will try that! So if I ground it and it starts going up I replace the gauge/cluster?
By teal_dx
#350165 If you try the test and the gauge moves, then the gauge is good and the sensor is the culprit.
It is usually the sensor. They see a lot of heat, being on the head, and are one of the more common sensors to go.
By Hoodrat
#350171 Okay thanks a lot! You're always the first to reply when I post anything appreciate it!
By Driv-it-hard
#350176 I had the same problem with my temp gauge on my hatch. I replace the sending unit time and thought it would fix the problem. Ended up being the gauge it self. Took it to my locale electric guru and he re-wound the copper in it and replaced the resistor.
By Hoodrat
#350206 Okay so I found where the one wire was clipped near the fire wall so I soldered it up and then it was acting as if it was automatically being ground (rising straight to hot) thought maybe the bad sending unit was causing it to ground and replaced that... Still going straight to hot. It only happens when the plug is connected to the sending unit so that elongated it being a possible open in the circuit right? How do I replace the gauge, get a whole new cluster?
By Driv-it-hard
Hoodrat wrote:Okay so I found where the one wire was clipped near the fire wall so I soldered it up and then it was acting as if it was automatically being ground (rising straight to hot) thought maybe the bad sending unit was causing it to ground and replaced that... Still going straight to hot. It only happens when the plug is connected to the sending unit so that elongated it being a possible open in the circuit right? How do I replace the gauge, get a whole new cluster?

I would try to find temp/fuel gauge at your local junkyard and that should be your fix. Or if you have a electrical tech that can re-wrap the copper wire.
By brandoff88
#350536 as teal said if the cluster gauge is going up and moving its NOT the gauge, I would trace the ENTIRE wire, it could have a split in the insulation and be rubbing on metal somewhere grounding itself out, it was probably cut for that reason and someone didn't want to fix it, when you soldered it did you use heat shrink and reloom it?