D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By richard
#349696 i currently have a d15b7 AUTOMATIC, im researching for a auto to 5speed right now with plans on later boosting OR because my engine is 170k wright now possibly a swap to a d15 vtec THEN boosting or d16 then boosting.

so i'd like to know right now what are some common turbo setups for boosted d15?
also as for 170k how should i plan a turbo ? is it worth it to build or should i just swap to newer dseries engine ?

...i want to stick with a D dont suggest other swaps please
By teal_dx
#349704 What's your HP goal and how much are you looking to spend? 170k miles isn't too bad if your engine is in good shape and had been properly maintained. If it's already consuming oil, noisy or had low compression, I wouldn't bother boosting untill you get a fresh D16z6 or D15b vtec.
By richard
teal_dx wrote:What's your HP goal and how much are you looking to spend? 170k miles isn't too bad if your engine is in good shape and had been properly maintained. If it's already consuming oil, noisy or had low compression, I wouldn't bother boosting untill you get a fresh D16z6 or D15b vtec.

hmm yeah...
hp goal is around 200-250 so most likely the engine could handle it,
when doing my auto to manual i was planning on pullin the motor and takin it apart to look inside and most likely rebuilding it. but it is burning oil needs a refill like every month lol

getting a fresh one sounds alot better though, do i need to swap axels for auto to manual ? is the wiring complicated for the vtec?

ive never swapped a motor before , this is my first time. but ive been researching it for a quite a while now
By teal_dx
richard wrote:
teal_dx wrote:What's your HP goal and how much are you looking to spend? 170k miles isn't too bad if your engine is in good shape and had been properly maintained. If it's already consuming oil, noisy or had low compression, I wouldn't bother boosting untill you get a fresh D16z6 or D15b vtec.

hmm yeah...
hp goal is around 200-250 so most likely the engine could handle it,
when doing my auto to manual i was planning on pullin the motor and takin it apart to look inside and most likely rebuilding it. but it is burning oil needs a refill like every month lol

getting a fresh one sounds alot better though, do i need to swap axels for auto to manual ? is the wiring complicated for the vtec?

ive never swapped a motor before , this is my first time. but ive been researching it for a quite a while now

200 HP is pushing a healthy stock D16 with ARP headstuds pretty far. 250 and you're better off with aftermarket rods/pistons along with headstuds, while having a high mileage block bored and/or honed while you have it all apart, along with fresh bearings.

auto and manual D series use the same axles, so you're good there.

Vtec wiring is simple, just 2 additional wires to the ecu and one to a ground.
More on that here: http://www.civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=10
By brandoff88
#349731 for that goal I think teal is right, you could buy a new swap, or put that money towards a rebuild for better rods, pistons, a blue print/blance, new seals and gaskets, and bearings, and it should stand up to that and more, and trannys..well it all depends, I have the ex/si tranny from a jdm d15b vtec and the gears are quite short compared to the b7 trans in my sedan, if you want to be able to cruise around without being in boost all the time maybe a longer geared tranny might suit you, or if you just want the fastest combination possible go with a ex/si tranny...its a lot of personal preference really but hope that helps out as well

edit I also added vtec to my engine harness (ended up rebuilding the whole damn harness) and it wasn't hard, I was just scared id pin it to the wrong ecu pin so I double checked it like a billion times, with something like this you just have to take your time do lots of research and have confidence, I been researching b series turbo swaps for almost 2 years now but have yet to make a commitment to something different, I have had the same single cam motor in 3 different cars lol