D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By 95Ej2civic
#349484 Hey fellow civic owners, I've got a 95 civic coupe with a d16z6 in it. And I'm lookin at doing a full build. I'm pulling it out next month and gonna tear it all down to build it from the block to head work. I'm not lookin to build for boost or spray just a solid fully built reliable all motor d16. Any help and direction would be a great help.
By HeikDiesel
#349487 What are your goals power wise? Honestly you don't have much head room for an all motor single cam without dropping a pretty big chunk of change.
By teal_dx
#349490 If HP per dollar isn't a priority, then proceed. If you're looking for bang for your buck, a built NA D-series is not the way to go.
Props for planning something that people don't do very often :thumb:
By 95Ej2civic
#349501 I'm honestly just lookin at getting the most hp I can out of the motor itself by building it to be a solid reliable motor from the bottom end to the top end. I'm not looking at getting a crazy amount of hp or anything like that. I just want a strong built reliable motor and try to have something not anyone in my area has. again crazy amount of hp is not my priority or anything insane. Just a well built motor is all I'm looking to achieve with this build. I've seen all motor sohc motors like mine get around 160 hp maybe a little more and I'm completely okay with that. I'm just lookin for a little insight on what type of Pistons rods things of that nature to go with to achieve my build.
By 95Ej2civic
#349514 Yea I do and I was lookin at wiseco pistons with eagle rods or should I go with different rods? And what ratio on both would be best to go with. The eagle rods I found were a direct replacement for the factory rods in it now at around the same ratio. Or should I get rods with the same ratio as the pistons? And you got any other advice/help with this build I'm wanting to do? Like best cam cam gear things like that? Because I was lookin at bisimoto for the header and cam.
By jefferydclark
#349524 you'd almost spend more money trying to build an engine to hit 170-180whp with no boost or spray than you'd spend building an engine to reliably hold 250-300hp with boost. if you want reliable NA power, just get a b series. if you want good street power, go boost a mild built D or stock B(UP TO 300HP) and if you go further than that, just start throwing money at the wall because its a big headache...good luck with your build man! :thumb:
By 95Ej2civic
#349528 I'm not wanting to go boost or have a b series. I'm wanting to build a solid d series because there isn't many around my area. Hp is not my biggest concern to have a lot of. My goal is to have a solid d series that's strong and reliable. I've seen it done so I know it's possible. I'm not looking for crazy hp or anything like that. I know what I want and it's a solid d series motor that's reliable not fast or anything. Just wanting a solid motor that's all. I always see b series and k series I want somethin that you don't see all that much and I will make this build happen. I was looking for help not trying to be steered in another direction of a build that I don't want to do.
By 95Ej2civic
#349595 That coupe off of YouTube is where I got the idea to do a full d16 build. If I could get mine to how his is or somewhat close I would be satisfied with that. So what would be some good parts to do so? Such as cam, pistons, rods, and other parts to help it come together?
By jefferydclark
95Ej2civic wrote:I'm not wanting to go boost or have a b series. I'm wanting to build a solid d series because there isn't many around my area. Hp is not my biggest concern to have a lot of. My goal is to have a solid d series that's strong and reliable. I've seen it done so I know it's possible. I'm not looking for crazy hp or anything like that. I know what I want and it's a solid d series motor that's reliable not fast or anything. Just wanting a solid motor that's all. I always see b series and k series I want somethin that you don't see all that much and I will make this build happen. I was looking for help not trying to be steered in another direction of a build that I don't want to do.

not steering you any way, just stating known facts. based off the comments you've been posting, you have no clue what you are getting in to nor have you read any on the subject of building one of the engines to begin with.

if you want a "solid, reliable" engine just leave a D series bone stock...there ya go, solid and reliable. asking what parts to buy is completely irrelevant because only you know your true goals and only you know how much money you have to blow rebuilding a 20+ year old engine. you may have tons of money to blow but to most folks these days, its kind of hard to justify spending 2-3k building a 150hp d series but anyway.. there is a build thread on DSO of a guy that makes a d16/d17 stroker that puts out some good torque numbers but as you've stated, you aren't building for power. it sounds as if you are looking at more of a rebuild with fresh components from what I'm gathering.

just start by doing a rebuild on the head, pull it all apart and take it to the machine shop to get the valve guides replaced because they are likely toast, then buy some cheap crower springs, use your stock retainers, buy a quality cam or get a regrind from delta or web, buy some cheap rods(spending lots of money on rods is a waste so buy the cheaper ones) buy whatever pistons you want to use to get you to the compression you want to hit, buy all your "rebuild" components. check all the tolerances, assemble and install then get a tune.