D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By redeghatch94
#349218 ok I have a 94 hatch with a D15B7 motor and trans (auto) I have a D16y8 motor that was in a 2000 coupe (5spd) the d16y8 needs some work. would that be an easy swap? a/c and everything match?
Second thought is to find a d16z6 obd1 so I do not have to switch ecu. any thoughts? thanks
By teal_dx
#349222 Either way, you would need to use a different ECU (P28, vtec)
The easiest thing to do would be to keep everything OBD1 when possible if you're going to put the D16y8 on your 94 hatch.
Use your OBD1 harness and run the 2 wires for vtec to the head. Use your D15b7 dizzy (it fits the y8 head). Ignore the secondary o2 sensor and any other unused sensors on the y8 intake manifold. Use your OBD1 alternator from the D15b7 (y8 will have a square plug vs the OBD1 round plug). Use your OBD1 injectors if the OBD1 harness injector clips don't fit the y8 injectors.

Since you need to buy different ECU, and you're already swapping everything, it would be a great time to convert to manual, if that's something you wanted to do.
By redeghatch94
#349247 good deal! thanks buddy! I am looking for a d16z6 in a junk yard or wreak. I was nit sure if everything would plug and play. and I was going to buy a 5spd hatch or civic but wanted a daily and save gas... fig buying an auto would keep me from wanting to race/ dump money lol.
Thanks again buddy