D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By cmdmoto
#348914 Long time lurker here and I can usually find all my answer, but I'm having issues with this one. About 6 months ago I replaced the head gasket in a d16z6 motor and got her running really good. The Vtec is constantly engaged at this time and has developed a knock starting around 2300 rpm on up, low power from Idol to around 2500-3000 rpm and is missing, but from there up it runs great. It runs good when cold and does not miss, but when the engine get warmed up, that's when I start to notice the issues. I have checked the timing and its on, I cant remember if i changed the plugs or not. I did break off the Vtec pressure switch a few months ago too...(/facepalm) I'm personally almost done with this car, its been a great ride but I need a new vehicle for my family. I need to make this one last 5 more months. Any help would be great.
thank you
By HeikDiesel
#348916 So is your pressure switch still broken? If so fix that

When you say vtec is constantly engaged what does that exactly mean? Have you checked both mechanical and ignition timing? Any CEL's? Need a little more info
By cmdmoto
#348917 No CELs at this time but it does through a code 22 every once in a while, but that's the pressure switch. Looking to get a new pressure switch at this time. The vtec is running all the time, there is no kick in power where vtec is suppose to engage, It acts like its running/engaged all the time. used a timing light to check timing, I'm confused about the mechanical and ignition timing. whats the difference?

Also, the knocking is only notable on acceleration.

Edit: NVM on the mechanical and ignition timing confusion...My kids were with me at this time. Ill check it later today.
By suspendedHatch
#348928 If you broke off the plug connector to your VTEC solenoid, your VTEC isn't engaging at all.
By HeikDiesel
#348930 Make sure you check your ignition timing with a jumper in the ECU. If you need instructions I could post them
By cmdmoto
#348932 Checked the mechanical timing and the electrical timing. The mechanical timing is really hard to check due to the timing belt cover melting when it over heated. I jumped the timing belt one tooth, rechecked the electrical timing and now the studdering is gone and it's running smooth. Knocking is still there only when I'm trying to maintain any speed... No acceleration and no deceleration.

Plugs changed.

@suspendedHatch: I'm going to have to agree with you. I ran it through the red's and the vtec is not engaging. Need to fix the pressure switch.

I'm starting to think I might need a valve adjustment

Got some work to do.

Thanks for the help so far